• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Survival of New Orleans blog

casm

NAXJA Forum User
While I generally despise blogs, I'm making an exception for this one: Survival of New Orleans.

This guy and a few others have been holed up in the DirectNIC building in New Orleans since last Saturday. The situation is clearly far worse than we thought, not so much because of the destruction from the hurricane but because law and order have pretty much broken down completely in the city. This gives a rather unpleasant perspective onto the whole affair.

Start here to get the play-by-play from Saturday.

This kind of behaviour makes me wonder what the entire US would come to if the fit really hit the shan.

Mass-scale terrorist attacks, nukes, bio-weapons...........hope the bad guys aren't watching how easy it is to turn a city against itself.

Jesusfawkingchrist.

CRASH

with things as bad as they are it makes you wonder what the hell is taking so long for the guard to get down there and establish some order

Ramsey said:
with things as bad as they are it makes you wonder what the hell is taking so long for the guard to get down there and establish some order

They can't afford the fuel for their convoys.

stupid they can't get fuel....

all of a sudden those guys that stock up on weapons and ammo don't look that stupid. I wish some of the good guys with guns would help out. Almost makes ya want to buy as much ammo as you can and go help drop those assholes.

havent been keeping up as much, didnt realize they were out of fuel

I don't know about the rest of you, mine was just a snide remark.

it makes sense though, people are freaking out and lining up at the stations in places here

I think it more of a way to get fuel...all the supply lines are FUBAR. They are going to reconstruct similar to how they do after war for temp supply lines.

Lawn Cher' said:
I don't know about the rest of you, mine was just a snide remark.

There's a shock........

:laugh:

Well I believe most of the "decent folks" evacuated when told. Yes, there are some good folks left that didn't have the means, but I think most of the ones that are left (looters ect.) are the scum of the city. For once they have free reign and are enjoying being the scum they are. It will end, I only hope they pay dearly......

I'm not sure you can use what's happening in N.O. as an example of the rest of the US citizens. There are two big reasons for whats going on there.
One; logistics. New Orleans is a unique situation where the city is below sea level (right next to the Sea at that) where the water isn't going to naturally to recede by itself in a matter of days like other areas that flood. This makes getting in to help nearly impossible for those that need it.
Two; The character of people who are there. Before the storm hit citizens where asked, warned, told, and practically begged to get out of town. Responsible, thinking adults took heed and went to higher ground. Unfortunately a large number of those who stayed behind were non productive types who grew up feeling they are owed something from the rest of us. I don't doubt for an instant that more than a few thought it was going to be a looters paradise for a day.
I really don't have a problem with someone taking food and water from a blown out building that will either spoil or be bulldozed anyway. But if you're walking out with jewlry or a CD player then you deserve to get hit over the head and robbed by one of yer "buddy" who wants it too.

TC said:
I'm not sure you can use what's happening in N.O. as an example of the rest of the US citizens. There are two big reasons for whats going on there.
One; logistics. New Orleans is a unique situation where the city is below sea level (right next to the Sea at that) where the water isn't going to naturally to recede by itself in a matter of days like other areas that flood. This makes getting in to help nearly impossible for those that need it.
Two; The character of people who are there. Before the storm hit citizens where asked, warned, told, and practically begged to get out of town. Responsible, thinking adults took heed and went to higher ground. Unfortunately a large number of those who stayed behind were non productive types who grew up feeling they are owed something from the rest of us. I don't doubt for an instant that more than a few thought it was going to be a looters paradise for a day.
I really don't have a problem with someone taking food and water from a blown out building that will either spoil or be bulldozed anyway. But if you're walking out with jewlry or a CD player then you deserve to get hit over the head and robbed by one of yer "buddy" who wants it too.

x2

We've been training ourselves to disenfranchise ourselves with society for years. We are seeing that we reap what we sew. This is a chance for many to live out a fantasy of a Grand Theft video game or become an active cast of a fatalist movie or stupid anger based "reality" TV show. I'm sure it's more than just that too.

Back