• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

dumb abnoxious stroker question

didnt even search, not in the mood to put it all together in my head, quick question, i have a 94 4.0 bored 0.030 over with a comp cam? i believe (bought it this way) with throttle body and intake, question is, what happens if i put 4.2 rods and crank in and throw the head back on without machining it, should that work?can it be that simple? and will that make it 4.6?

thanks for the tolerance

Jordan

The nose of the crank will need to be cut to take the later model dampener.
You don't want to cut the head. The increase in displacement will also increase compression. With no way to back timing off to stop ping. Cams with more overlap is often use to kill off some of that compression and MAYBE a little more breathing. Some say use 2 head gasket too.
Larger injector are often installed to compensate for the increase displacement.
I know of one 4.6 running the stock injector at stock PSI for 2 years now. No code yet. Also one that did change but saw no improvement in 1/4 trap speed or lower ET.
Both needed a lot cooler plugs and no tailpipe sniffing has been done.

DangerousJordan said:
didnt even search, not in the mood to put it all together in my head, quick question, i have a 94 4.0 bored 0.030 over with a comp cam? i believe (bought it this way) with throttle body and intake, question is, what happens if i put 4.2 rods and crank in and throw the head back on without machining it, should that work?can it be that simple? and will that make it 4.6?

Yes.
You'll just need Ford Racing 24lb injectors to fuel the extra displacement. If the 4.2 crank is from '87-90 the nose will already be the same length as that of the 4.0 crank. If it's a '72-'86 crank, you'll need to put a 10mm spacer (you can have one cut on a lathe from an old harmonic balancer) in front of the harmonic balancer 'cause that crank's nose is 10mm longer.
Take a look at my stroker build-up site:

http://www.angelfire.com/my/fan/stroker.html

Back