• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

WTB High Amp Alternator

Looking for a high amp alternator for my '96 cherokee for fairly cheap.

If I remember correctly, the Mean Green I got was near $400?

Go to autozone or their website and order part number 12329 it's a 160A alt that has mounting points the same as our xj's only difference is it's a 7 groove belt versus 6.

Go to autozone or their website and order part number 12329 it's a 160A alt that has mounting points the same as our xj's only difference is it's a 7 groove belt versus 6.

Hadn't heard about that one....how much was it?

For a new one from autozone it's 147 with a 74 core charge. It's got the plug in style connector on the back like the 97+ which if you have a 96- you can just cut and splice the wiring to the connector. Just have to make sure you upgrade the wiring and replace the fuse for the alt which can both be taken care of from talking to 5-90 on here.

For a new one from autozone it's 147 with a 74 core charge. It's got the plug in style connector on the back like the 97+ which if you have a 96- you can just cut and splice the wiring to the connector. Just have to make sure you upgrade the wiring and replace the fuse for the alt which can both be taken care of from talking to 5-90 on here.

That sounds like a good deal!
Thanks.:wave1:

I ended up getting a Mean Green for my 99 XJ. It was rated at 200 Amps. Chuckster, I paid ~$400 plus upgrades to the charging system wiring. I got the wiring upgrades from 5-90 here on NAXJA.

It can be used as is just put the belt to the grooves closest to the alt, did the same thing with the zj 136A I swapped into my rig a couple years ago.

good tech - looks like i will be ordering one for my 99 and 97 xj;s

Yeh, I wonder if it will fit in a Vibe GT...I'm having some lack of juice issues...too many electronic work tools.....:rolleyes:

Hmmmm...might have to look into this as money allows...shame I just replaced mine with a OEM replacement last year...guess I need to wear this one out first :D

Yeh, I wonder if it will fit in a Vibe GT...I'm having some lack of juice issues...too many electronic work tools.....:rolleyes:

Vibe - isn't that a Pontiac? What year?

I'm wanting to think that's probably a Delco CS or AD series - my catalogue goes up to 2005/2006 or so, so we'll see if I can't look it up (if not, get a number from a friendly parts house - I can probably look that up.)

But, I'm willing to bet it won't be a Nippondenso. NDs tend to be externally regulated, while the Delco CS and AD series are internal.

Vibe - isn't that a Pontiac? What year?

I'm wanting to think that's probably a Delco CS or AD series - my catalogue goes up to 2005/2006 or so, so we'll see if I can't look it up (if not, get a number from a friendly parts house - I can probably look that up.)

But, I'm willing to bet it won't be a Nippondenso. NDs tend to be externally regulated, while the Delco CS and AD series are internal.

It's an '05 Pontiac Vibe GT. Actually has the Toyota 2zz engine in it. That's the same drive train as Celica GTS, and Matrix RS. 1.8L, 11.?:1 compression, 170hp, and a 6 spd. It moves when needed, and gets 25-30mpg....But, I'm running a GPS, Radar detector (V1 and love it), Netbook charger, and phone charger pretty much all day while driving. Also swapping in the BluTooth charger occassionally and unplugging Netbook charger at same time. None of that is on when car is off. Running an Optima Red Top without complaint. I've noticed the head light brightness changing w/engine rpm... Whatchya got for me??:cheers:
I may also need to talk to you about XJ battery cables whenever I get to installing the MeanGreen in this XJ.....:doh:

Yah you can swap the pulley over but to do it would be best to have an air impact otherwise that pulley's just gonna spin on you. I swapped it into mine when I did the alt relocation and just put the belt on the 7 groove pulley just offset to the back 1 groove.

Back