• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

WTB: catalytic converter for 98 XJ

vanseldorf

NAXJA Forum User
Need used (new?) Catalytic converter for 98 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4.0 Littre, must have number 5083054AD on it.
Please provide how many miles your car had

Last edited:
Mike, I tried Google, went to couple of muffler shops, the problem is that for 98- 2001 xj with 4.0 there is no aftermarket cat available. Right now for me to go through smog check I have to have OEM catalytic. During Smog check technician must enter aftermarket cat number into a system and if it is not designed specifically for the car it would fail- another new law CA has. It is not enough right now to have cat that would have low emissions. I can not afford to pay $500+ from a dealer for OEM cat. So if you have 98-2001 and need new catalytic converter be careful what you are installing. previous years- no problem ,2.5L engine- no problem, but not 4.0L for 98-2001.

Go to Craigslist and find a guy parting out an XJ in the right year range. He will not advertise the cat converter for sale, but he will sell it to you ;)

Good luck...

I just passed smog with a Magnaflow cat. 98, 4.0, automatic. Passed with flying colors, I might add.
Get the Magnaflow XL 50-state version, I got mine for $209 shipped.

NAPA has a bolt-on cat. Even from factory mot late model vehicles have a "high flow" cat. And, would they be able to prove you installed a different cat? You can always get a universal. And say that is how it was when you got it.

NAPA has a bolt-on cat. Even from factory mot late model vehicles have a "high flow" cat. And, would they be able to prove you installed a different cat? You can always get a universal. And say that is how it was when you got it.
Johnie Walker,
Napa, Autozone or Kragen do not sell cats for 98-2001 XJ 4.0L, i tried.
Each cat has a number on it and if technician at the smog station sees aftermarket cat he must enter it in the system which would result in failure if cat converter is not designed for the particular car. This is what guys at the muffler shops and at the Smog Station told me

Last edited:
I just passed smog with a Magnaflow cat. 98, 4.0, automatic. Passed with flying colors, I might add.
Get the Magnaflow XL 50-state version, I got mine for $209 shipped.
yossarian19
you got lucky, and this is good :)
I've got XJ without cat and did not realize it until failed Smog check- Gross polluter of course. Now I have to go to Smog Check only station

In all seriousness then, magnaflow does make a CA legal cat for newer XJ's costs 200$+ usually but ya gotta do what ya gotta do. Go to an exhaust shop.

I'll have to check into that Magnaflow. When I was looking at re-routing my exhaust system to keep my cat from rattling against my skid plate, my exhaust guy told me that OEM from the dealer was the only option for a '99 4.0.

so, performance-curve.com (mudfrog - I forget the last part of his SN) has universal cats with or without the bung. For under 100$. If you know someone who welds this is the easiest way. Or.. take a trip to Reno and pick up a 50 state legal cat. Say it was on there already.
Just trying to help out (=

so, performance-curve.com (mudfrog - I forget the last part of his SN) has universal cats with or without the bung. For under 100$. If you know someone who welds this is the easiest way. Or.. take a trip to Reno and pick up a 50 state legal cat. Say it was on there already.
Just trying to help out (=
Thank you. I would probably do one or the other if i do not find anything.

In all seriousness then, magnaflow does make a CA legal cat for newer XJ's costs 200$+ usually but ya gotta do what ya gotta do. Go to an exhaust shop.
Johnie Walker,
They do have catalytic converters for California, but they are not California legal because of some BS with registeration in CA.
Magnaflow does have legal one for sale to California, but only for 2.5L and price is $566.84
http://www.magnaflow.com/02catalytic_converters/02product/shopdisplayproducts.asp

Back