• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Would this be ok?

kdub41

NAXJA Forum User
how much could i tow with a 2000 cherokee sport 4x4, aw4, np231 t-case and 4.56 gearing with 33's and a 8.25, RE 5.5 kit with not sway bars?

Last edited:
If you tow without sway bars please post pics of the wreck...With the lift you have it would not be fun with a heavy load on it..Be safe first...

how much could i tow with a 2000 cherokee sport 4x4, aw4, np231 t-case and 4.56 gearing with 33's and a 8.25, RE 5.5 kit with not sway bars?

Are you talking about the swaybars on the jeep or the anti-sway hitch towing equipment? If you are referring to the ones that are supposed to be installed on the jeep then please listen to the responses above as it is dangerous and you will put other drivers in danger.

I eally wouldnt recommend it. I was towing a trailer and 2 dirtbikes in town and almost ate it

how much could i tow with a 2000 cherokee sport,... ..., RE 5.5 kit with not sway bars?
What everyone here's getting at: With the big tires and lift, the CG is a lot higher then stock. With no anti-sway bars, the only thing damping side to side pitching is the shocks. With an improperly loaded trailer, heavy trailer, out of level(common when towing with a lifted truck) the trailer will start tracking side to side,which pushes the rig around, then you get into roll centers in relation to hitch center. In many(most?) cases, the pitching won't stop by itself, and in short order, pushes the rig sideways, then rolls it(then the trailer runs into it). To be honest, with your setup, I wouldn't tow anything.

2000 XJ, 4.0, AT, stock 3.55 gears on 32s w/2.5" OME, fat guy in the driver seat and front sway bar connected could barely handle a 4x8 utility lawn trailer carrying:

2 pcs of 3/4" plywood
4 pcs of 1/2" plywood
8 sheets of drywall
10 2x4x8 studs
and two rolls of R-13 insulation

Lots of bounce in the front end for loose steering, poor braking. Between Lowe's and my house is a 5% grade and topped it at 45mph. The weights was distributed towards the rear of the trailer to keep the tongue in check.

Don't do it.

Back