• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Winter Storm

Harlee&Tahoe

NAXJA Forum User
I'm glad I have the 30yr old snowblower (Rare Bobcat paddle type, for advertising they would toss cinder blocks into the bucket) running for this one, supposed to be a "twenty year storm" :bs:87 was a drought time iirc.

Has anyone seen the warnings from "NOAA" They say going outside for us up here could be "DEADLY" or risking our lives when driving through the Sierras

Check out the Blizzard Warning

It's fun watching everyone freak out, there was no more bread, milk,
eggs were low, batteries, and canned goods were all ravaged by scared tourists.
Still raining, trying to snow. Nothing but a soupy mess in front of my house.
Thinking of trying the newly operational snowchucker

Ya, its been coming down HARD all day, and yesterday around here. They say that there is 3 storms all coming in at the same time and the worst is yet to come. I think im gona go learn to drift now :D

oo7ravisXJ said:
I think im gona go learn to drift now :D
When we get big storms I drive the car so she can drive the Jeep. The car is a 94 Merc. Grand Marquis, yeah 4.6L V8 RWD. Ever drift a tobbogan?
I knew I shouldn't have taught her to drive stick, I'm selling car in spring and looking for 99 xj in the spring

Harlee&Tahoe said:
When we get big storms I drive the car so she can drive the Jeep. The car is a 94 Merc. Grand Marquis, yeah 4.6L V8 RWD. Ever drift a tobbogan?
I knew I shouldn't have taught her to drive stick, I'm selling car in spring and looking for 99 xj in the spring
haha nice, sounds like fun

This storm is crazy. I was getting gas this morning and saw a parked full sized ram almost get pick up by the wind. The rear leafs were fully flexed up. It was crazy. They are estimating 80MPH+ winds in Pacifica. Good thing I'm 1 block outside of the "flood zone"

Played dodge the downed power lines and trees on the way to work today. Maybe play how deep is this puddle on the way home. I certainly hope the levees hold. :shocked:

Be careful everyone and have a good weekend!

Good thing this weather doesn't happen all the time out here. The state would cease to function. I like the weather, actually, just hate driving in it because no one else seems to know how.

This would be a common storm back home (Ohio). Barely a blip on the dopplar.

Try driving here in Tahoe I think the elevation and lack of oxygen sucks the mental capacity out of 98% the tourists, that's without snow!

What makes me laugh is that any time we get some drizzle in the SoCal area, the news is ALL over it...STORM WATCH 2008! lmao!

I hope the winds are calmer on Monday though...I'll be driving from SoCal up to Twain Harte in a swaybar-less XJ. D'oh!

awwww shizzzz i wish i was home in tahoe to go boarding damn... im missing out on this one....... kirkwood is supposto have 20' by sunday.....noooooooooo its a bad time to have joined the marine corps...ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Jes said:
Power was out here for ten+ hours today.
Insane wind and my garage flooded.

That just plain sucks. Hope nothing important was damaged...

I just don't understand why the state gets caught with its pants down every time some out of the ordinary weather comes along (they know its coming...). A year and a half ago it was over 100 degrees for a few days here in the Bay Area, and our transformer melted because of the heat and load. Our power was out for three days... (We did get a $100 check from PG&E to cover damages - as if that was even close to the expenses we incurred). It rains for ONE day here, and half the state is under water.

Harlee&Tahoe said:
supposed to be a "twenty year storm" :bs:87 was a drought time iirc.

:laugh3: :laugh3:

It means "the worst storm in a twenty year interval", not "this is what happened twenty years ago".

Phil said:

It means "the worst storm in a twenty year interval", not "this is what happened twenty years ago".
Thanks, smartass always better than a dumbass any day in my book
original.aspx
:shhh:
Took me 2 1/2hrs last night to blow the soupy mess out, I'll say BRING IT as long as we don't get any more rain.

I wish I was a little more "set-up" and had weekends off for a little snow wheeling for Bald Mountain run

Sorry to hear about the flooding Jes, hopefully all dries out ok.

I left work Friday afternoon during the height of the storm. I typically have an hour commute home but I took the long way along back roads hoping to find a stranded lady in distress or a downed tree that I could strap away from the road.

Although I found many fallen trees, limbs, and two roads blocked by downed power lines, I found no such lady in distress. I did have fun hitting as many mud holes I could find and running through deep water along the road, though.

By the way, Cheers to all of you XJers out there driving between Marysville and the Rocklin/Roseville area via Hwy 65. You know who you are. Stay safe on the highway of death.

We want snow pics!!!

Ok guys...a request from a fellow jealous XJ'er...please post up some pics of the snow aftermath of this huge storm you're getting. Thanks! Stay safe!

Phil said:

You beat me to it. AKA "The 5% annual chance event (20 year storm) is the event that has a 5% chance of being equaled or exceeded in any given year." :lecture:

I make FEMA maps. Don't hold it aginst me. :dunce:

Stayed at Sorensens these 3 days. More than 1" of ice on my windshield in the morning.
This is what Sunday snowfall alone left.
sorensens2008.jpg

Back