• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Which way does fan go?(Clutch questions)

Dirt Yota

NAXJA Forum User
Help! I need to know which way the mechanical fan goes? There is a "FRONT" Painted on one side but when I put that facing the front of the vehicle the fan will not bolt up to the clutch.

its a 95 4.0l and Im trying to do the entire cooling system and this new fan clutch is alot bigger (I think its the ZJ one, came up as 'stock' in the computer). It's a torqueflow clutch.

I just need to know which way the actual fan bolts up. One direction seems to bolt up perfect and when you flip it (Front facing front of vehicle) then its hitting the fins and not seating. But on the OG clutch it seems to sit perfectly fine in this position.

Or maybe a good picture could help? Thanks!

If you bought the ZJ MAX COOL fan. Stop trying...it won't fit. You CAN get a higher CFM fan clutch by getting a ZJ HD clutch NAPA p/n 272310.

...or just make sure they give you the right part for your year...

Ya gotta watch those guys

Joe Peters Fan clutch comparison

Standard Fan Clutch:
  • Turns fan 60-70% of shaft speed when engaged.
  • Disengage to 20-30% of the shaft speed
  • Used with lighter pitch fans. (1-1/2” of pitch).
  • Flat plate impeller design with 11.4 Sq. In. of working surface.
  • Identified by a smooth steel faceplate & thermal spring assembly on the front side.
Heavy-Duty fan clutch: ZJ HD fan clutch, NAPA #272310, direct fit upgrade, Not the Max Cooling--it won't fit
  • Turns the fan 80-90% of the shaft speed when engaged for increased cooling.
  • Turns the fan 20-30% of the shaft speed when disengaged.
  • Used with deeper pitch fans. (2 -1/2” of pitch).
  • Land and groove design with 26.0 Sq. In. of working area allows higher operating RPM’s.
  • Identified by finned aluminum faceplate and thermal spring on the front.
If you use the HD fan clutch you will hear it when it is engaged unless you are deaf or have a really great sound system.

It is dollar for dollar the best upgrade to a stock XJ cooling system, IMHO.

I got my info from here (joe_peters). I meant to say (and I did at one point) fan clutch.

Note: "thermal spring on front" and "It is dollar for dollar the best upgrade to a stock XJ cooling system"....

I appreciate your replys but my question is more about which way the fan bolts to the fan clutch? There is a "front" painted on one side. Does that go towards the front of the vehicle? Does the fan only bolt up one way?

perfect! that was what I was looking for!!

I don't know if this was what confused you but the XJ mechanical fan actually spins counter clockwise ie; the top blade of the fan turn to the left while the engine turns clockwise or to the right. Confusing but true.

Weird Im pretty sure my 98 turns clockwise.

Back