• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

where to put the spar that is the ?

simsfamxj

NAXJA Forum User
where to put the spare that is the ?

Ok so I have done some homework and this is what i started with and this is what is in my head.:dunno: O yeah almost forgot this is for DD and hauling the wife and twins . hope that i will be hauling in the desert soon .
IMG00097-1.jpg

This is what i started with

I hacked a stock receiver apart and flipped the brackets upside down.
2011-03-26_11-57-18_41.jpg

2011-03-26_11-57-33_944.jpg

I had a receiver extension that i got from who knows but it had a 5000lb rating so i used its internal sleeve and a piece of the outer for a filler .the internal goes through both receivers.
2011-03-26_17-26-49_2573.jpg

Cut up some tube for extensions for support.

I plan on making some mounts that will bolt to the stock bumper bolts. Along with reinforcing the fuel tank strap mounts behind the receiver .
2011-03-26_13-28-38_860-2.jpg

so what am i missing?

Last edited:
looks good so far. Are you planing on doing a swing out style carrier? Or is the tire just mounted back there

I'm going to make it rotate towards the ground and useing rodends and a 3 point strap too keep it up along with a locking system so i don't get jacked . this is what i think it will look like .
rearbumperandstrap.jpg

Last edited:
what size tire? and how often do you get in the back? Might be a pain with a 35" tire. But overall I like the design and should work well in theory.

I am only running 33s not planing on going biger iamonly running. 4.5 Lift. With me being a big boy i wont have a problem wrestling the tire. Did i mention its goung to pivot out i plan on puting a couple HD gass struts by the pivouts for help.

Ok after driving around all day fixing broken equipment for fthe county i had a light go on. Insted of using gass struts how cool would it be to use a actuater instead of struts. Ok i know too much to go rong but why not iam the one who has to fix it and i like calling my sealf stupid. The actuator would go from the bumper up too one of the legs around the tire. Then with the press of a momentary switch down, down gos the tire and up whell you see what iam talking about.

an actuator capable of pushing that much weight isn't going to be cheap, but if you can afford it why not :D

ok so this is what i came up with . i did adjust it so its not sitting on the back gat what do you all think . grimm you were right that idea was shot.:cheers:
2011-04-17_10-14-37_348.jpg

2011-04-17_10-15-01_276.jpg

so i ran this for some time and didn't realise that i would be getting in the back as much as i have . so being a pain in the a$$ and wasting weekends trying to figure it out it went back inside. Now i tink i'm going to build a rack and basket system somthing like Flyin Filarski's f150 . if you have any ideas post them up.

ok so this is what i came up with . i did adjust it so its not sitting on the back gat what do you all think . grimm you were right that idea was shot.:cheers:
2011-04-17_10-14-37_348.jpg
Mount it the other way? that way in order to get the tire off, the 'stinger' has to be in the down position. makes theft harder.

Raise the tire higher to eliminate the drag?

Also instead of using bolts maybe hitch pins? they would be a lot faster and easier :dunno:

is the hitch tied into the bumper? or are these 2 butt welds the only strength?

never underestimate how much force that tire carrier sees is the whoops.

otherwise, love the aesthetics of your bumper, nice work!

But welds oooooo nooooo noooo that would be bad its sleved inside. Goiing to get some more tube and do some more:cheer:thinkin about having the tire captured like T&J but use the stinger.then i think i could be cool:cool:

Back