• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wheeling in Silverton next week!

OutkastBoss

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys we will be staying in Silverton next week and hitting some trails. I thought I'd post up and see if anyone wanted to meet up and go on a run or has any tips or trail recommendations.

We had planned on coming up with a group led by someone with a lot of experience in the area but that trip was cancelled. We were however the only ones that forgot to cancel our rental, so instead of losing the deposit we are going without our guide.

I have family, used to live, and still get out to Co 3-8 times a year depending. I have hiked up to Horn peak and done some wheeling and camping in the Sangre de Christo area so I am not unfamiliar with the environment. ( I would like to wheel blanca peak someday).

We got this book on recommendation from our friend that was leading the original group we were going with. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1934838047?ref_=cm_sw_r_awd_r.1Cvb0CAXWB0 Coincidentally we already had the Ca. edition we won at a Naxja event raffle.

We go to WinterFest yearly, have been to Harlan for the Cherokee Crawl, and Moab for the anniversary event. We would like to make an event in each chapter eventually.

Anyway we most likely plan to be out on the trail on the 20th,21st,23rd, and the 24th. We will probably do Black bear and Immogene pass one day and Engineer/ Cinnamon pass another. That leaves us two more days of wheeling to fill if anyone has suggestions. I am going to read about all the trails in that book and fill those days based on that otherwise.

Anyway if your going to be at Cofest have fun! And if your going to be in the Silverton area and feel like meeting up, shoot me a message.

Last edited:
The trail Fred is talking about is poughkeepsie gulch, only challenging trail, but it is fun.

One of my favorite easy trails is Corkscrew. Tons of great views.

You could do Corkscrew/Hurricane, stop at Lake Como for a snack/lunch, then California Pass to Animas Forks.
or
Poughkeepsie to Lake Como, then Hurricane to Corkscrew.

By the way: My Avatar Pic was taken on California Pass.

Back