• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What 4x4 chassis to install Ford 5.0?

Rob Patterson

NAXJA Forum User
I'm partial to the XJ but I'm also looking for other ideas on what to buy that I can use my Mustang 347 motor with stand alone ecu. I'm looking to spend 4-5 grand on a chassis.

I would like to put a manual transmission with overdrive behind the motor. I have a Mustang t5 but I don't know if that is useful.

Thanks,
Rob

I'm partial to the XJ but I'm also looking for other ideas on what to buy that I can use my Mustang 347 motor with stand alone ecu. I'm looking to spend 4-5 grand on a chassis.

I would like to put a manual transmission with overdrive behind the motor. I have a Mustang t5 but I don't know if that is useful.

Thanks,
Rob
2wd xj sleeper

240Z.... on my mind of late. :eyes:

I would prefer a 4x4 chassis, I just sold my Mustang.

If I use the engine I will need to de-tune it. Dart block, TFS-R heads, solid roller cam, 42# injectors, coil on plug ignition, 1150 cfm 4 barrel throttle body, super Victor intake.

CJ-8 scrambler... or an LJ ...

for Jeeps, I have seen cj,yj,tj,lj,xj,mj as possible options.
Old bronco would be cool.

So what are good manual transmissions with overdrive to put behind a healthy 347?
WC 4wd T5?
Nv4500?
AX15?
NV3550?
BW????

IMG_20141013_141014_zpswajqg2t3.jpg

for Jeeps, I have seen cj,yj,tj,lj,xj,mj as possible options.
Old bronco would be cool.

So what are good manual transmissions with overdrive to put behind a healthy 347?
WC 4wd T5?
Nv4500?
AX15?
NV3550?
BW????

IMG_20141013_141014_zpswajqg2t3.jpg

did this come out of your old notch-back fox body, Rob? That was a sweet ride...

did this come out of your old notch-back fox body, Rob? That was a sweet ride...

Technically no, I never did complete this engine that I was going install in my old notch-back. My coupe has spent more days on jack stands than it ever spent on the road. I changed engine combos like I changed underwear...LOL

I still need to get the rotating assembly balanced and then I can assemble it and order custom 3/8" pushrods. If I can find a project at the right price that needs an engine then I will finish the motor. Otherwise, I will part out the motor to help finance a more complete project.

If I can find a project at the right price that needs an engine then I will finish the motor. Otherwise, I will part out the motor to help finance a more complete project.
That narrows the field considerably.

I have a 1970 Scout 800 original 1/2 cab 304 V8 3 spd. I am/was going to redo it. The body needs a little work, seats need recover but the inside is an 8.5 -9.0. It is not cut up, no floor rust inside at all, normal on lower front fenders about the area of a coin dollar! Flushed one fuel tank, pass. side needs cleaning also! The alternator was rebuilt and boosted to 120 amp and rewired to interior gauges. My plan was to stick a Cummings or a 302 AOD 1356 drive train I have for it. I have all the parts to convert it, from the computer & radiator to the t-case. I was going to make it dual, fuel gas & propane, which I have the propane tank for this. I have a disk brake front 44 for it as well! My plan was to purchase the 1356 Behemouth dblr kit and put my 205 behind it!
If you are interested in the AOD t-case combo with the Scout and the 44 I can sell it for what I have in it at $2300.00 If you want the motor and CPU I can do $2500.00. If you are interested I can send pics to you! I have 3 other projects so I can do without! A 53 Merc. and a 64 Nova of which my grandfather was the original owner. I also have my V8 85 XJ with a Bronco drive train I'd like to tube. I always wanted a 1/2 cab and Broncos are ridiculous (I know I sold a rust bucket for $4500.00) so either way I am not abandoning the project I just rather see it get done!

Last edited:
Back