• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Weird vibe going down hill

109ace

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 98 with the RE 3.5 SF and I am not sure if this is a major problem or not but it seems that when ever I am going downhill, at highway speeds and I either let off the gas or get on it I have a weird noise and a vibe coming from the back. I plan on doing a SYE soon once I get the money but I am wondering if this is normal because when I am going slow down a hill nothing happens and when I am at hightspeed on somewhat level ground its still smooth. I know my year is bad for vibes and I have 6* shims in the rear right now and its perfectly smooth at speed as long as I am either going up hill or on somewhat level roads.

I have a 98 with the RE 3.5 SF and I am not sure if this is a major problem or not but it seems that when ever I am going downhill, at highway speeds and I either let off the gas or get on it I have a weird noise and a vibe coming from the back. I plan on doing a SYE soon once I get the money but I am wondering if this is normal because when I am going slow down a hill nothing happens and when I am at hightspeed on somewhat level ground its still smooth. I know my year is bad for vibes and I have 6* shims in the rear right now and its perfectly smooth at speed as long as I am either going up hill or on somewhat level roads.
try droppin the case a bit, might help a little. start getting sye stuff together,that noise gets pretty annoying

I know, I am hunting for a drive shaft now then I will pick up the SYE. I think its weird that it only happens under certain circumstances though.

I know, I am hunting for a drive shaft now then I will pick up the SYE. I think its weird that it only happens under certain circumstances though.
mine used to thrum pretty good at first, then I added a leaf and then that terrible noise in decel/downhill. now have a sye and a real leaf pack. good 2 go

I have a 98 XJ, same lift and i had the same things happen. Vibes only when going down hill. Do you have a slight knock in the rear when you take your foot off the gas? Its not a harmonic vibe but more of a "clunk" right?

I dropped my T case a half an inch with some teraflex spacers and the sound went away. Thats a 98 for you. For some reason 98's seem to have most of the problems with lifts.

Drop the T case and you will be fine. 30 dollar fix.... just make sure you get a stud extractor to get that damn stud out of the cross member.

Back