• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

WANT TO BUY off road Light bar and HID lights!!!

ethanbarnard

NAXJA Forum User
So im thinkin im gonna put a 20-30 inch led bar on my roof rack, and two HID round lights on either side of it. So, let me know what you have, I am in no hurry to buy, but I do have money ready to spend on them!

Looking for a GOOD deal, NAXJA members hook me up please! Thanks everyone.

LED's and HIDs have no business on the same light rack unless you have huge amounts of dollars to throw at your lighting solution and just want to look like a big $ tool. HIDs beat LEDs in distance and lumens hands down every time. LEDs look cool and cost 8 to 10 times as much as throwing HID kits in a set of hella 4000s. the only advantage to LEDs over HIDs is smaller space requirements, lower power consumption, and less weight.

do one or the other, not both.

LED's and HIDs have no business on the same light rack unless you have huge amounts of dollars to throw at your lighting solution and just want to look like a big $ tool. HIDs beat LEDs in distance and lumens hands down every time. LEDs look cool and cost 8 to 10 times as much as throwing HID kits in a set of hella 4000s. the only advantage to LEDs over HIDs is smaller space requirements, lower power consumption, and less weight.

do one or the other, not both.

Found a 22" LED bar for 300 bucks- Comes with a 1 year warrantee i think too. (The owner of the sight gave me a code to type in to make it $299 instead of the 330 advertised)

. I could buy like 3 halogen hellas with that, then id have to buy the hid kit to put inside.. If anything i was thinking about going to harbor freight to get lights there and put HID's in them, but i was in glamis a few months ago and saw these buggies with light bars and they were BRIGHHHHTTTT!!!!

You say don't get a light bar though? I don't care what people think about me... I'm 18, work my ass off all day for an A.C. company and pay for all my own STUFF. I built my jeep, but people look at me like I'm a spoiled rich white kid who bought the jeep and threw 4 grand at a mechanic to lift it.

So I'm just talking about bang for buck- and efficiency. If i were to spend 300 on the light bar, then get some hella's up there and convert them to HID, i would have a pretty damn good lighting set up huh?

Last edited by a moderator:
And about the power consumption, i wired in 3 subs, 2 amps, a dvd player head unit, a back up camera, an alarm/keyless entry, and I'm planning on building a hydrogen cell to get better gas milage. Im gonna be stressing my alternator, so power consumption IS a factor as well.

as Andy (silverslk) said, light you can outrun is worthless. you mentioned best bang for buck, go hella halogen housings with HID kits in them. you're going to get twice the amount of light, that will shine twice as far, for close to half the $$ amount.

Check this out

http://www.lightforce.net.au/images/pages/4WD%20161%20LR2.pdf

Also, bright and throwing light a distance are two different things. Everyone I know who's into gofast stuff refuses to get a LED bar because they just dont cast far enough. Look at the results for yourself. If you are stuck on buying LED's, go over to gofastbroncos.com and hit up "Pre Run It" over there.

http://www.gofastbroncos.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=3071

See, all the HID kits are like 500 bucks for a kit! And the light bar is 300... I like my idea of just combining, because sometimes i go to the desert and want to go fast at night, so i have the HIDs and the bar on, HIDs for distance and Bar on for just a flood light. Then when I'm in like glamis takin it slow at night, i only have the LED flood bar. I would just wire em to 2 different switches. I don't know why people are so 1 sided when it comes to either led or hid, why not get both! hahaa

as Andy (silverslk) said, light you can outrun is worthless. you mentioned best bang for buck, go hella halogen housings with HID kits in them. you're going to get twice the amount of light, that will shine twice as far, for close to half the $$ amount.

Around how much for 4 Hella lights and HID kits for those you think?

This is the way to go for sure!!

Or would i only need 2?

I have 2 hella 700FFs on my front bumper with a kit from BajaHID.com in them and It's way more light than I'll ever need, it turns the night into daytime. I love them out in the desert and they're good for driving on the dark highway at night on the way out there, the light goes as far as you can see.

I have 2 hella 700FFs on my front bumper with a kit from BajaHID.com in them and It's way more light than I'll ever need, it turns the night into daytime. I love them out in the desert and they're good for driving on the dark highway at night on the way out there, the light goes as far as you can see.

:D

Back