• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Unwelcome guests

Matt_West

NAXJA Forum User
We had some unwelcomed guests yesterday evening. A couple of gentlemen drove their pickup past our house and down into the yard and became stuck. From this experience there are a number of items that are prompting me to consider installation of a gate:
1.The fellow who stuck around was a convicted felon
2.The gentleman who left on foot had outstanding warrants
3.The dog followed the fellow on foot and was found about a mile down the road
4.A tree was damaged
5.The yard is now a mud bog
6.The sheriff had only a small hammer or a sledgehammer I could choose from (Next time I will probably opt for the sledge)
7.The gentleman was unable to arrange for the removal of his vehicle so it fell upon me to arrange for removal (Thanks to Matt Adair for helping)

That said had I chosen the path of escalation last night. I could have had the sheriff remove said tweaker from my property, denied him access, and filed an abandoned vehicle claim.

Instead he was cited for trespass and minor damage occurred to his truck during the extraction process. As a landowner I am furious and intent on preventing this from happening again.

Cheers,
Matt

We had some unwelcomed guests yesterday evening. A couple of gentlemen drove their pickup past our house and down into the yard and became stuck. From this experience there are a number of items that are prompting me to consider installation of a gate:
1.The fellow who stuck around was a convicted felon
2.The gentleman who left on foot had outstanding warrants
3.The dog followed the fellow on foot and was found about a mile down the road
4.A tree was damaged
5.The yard is now a mud bog
6.The sheriff had only a small hammer or a sledgehammer I could choose from (Next time I will probably opt for the sledge)
7.The gentleman was unable to arrange for the removal of his vehicle so it fell upon me to arrange for removal (Thanks to Matt Adair for helping)

That said had I chosen the path of escalation last night. I could have had the sheriff remove said tweaker from my property, denied him access, and filed an abandoned vehicle claim.

Instead he was cited for trespass and minor damage occurred to his truck during the extraction process. As a landowner I am furious and intent on preventing this from happening again.

Cheers,
Matt

was this an accident or intentional?

So you chose the lightest slap on the wrist?

In effect yes I did.

My impression was that he was a meth addict with prior felony convictions. While I could have had him removed and pursued seizure of his vehicle that would have left him with no means to get to work. I did not want to pursue a course of action that would likely lead to him making more poor decisions and me having to invest more time and effort.

My intent was to resolve as quickly as possible.

What do you think you would have done?

was this an accident or intentional?

Due to the numerous postings most of my friends have called to verify halfway to my house the first they have come out...

He was clear that he should not have been where he was. He did not intend to end up stuck in the mud but had exceedingly poor judgment.

Due to the numerous postings most of my friends have called to verify halfway to my house the first they have come out...

He was clear that he should not have been where he was. He did not intend to end up stuck in the mud but had exceedingly poor judgment.

Malicious mischief in the 1st degree can be proven by showing that you knowingly and maliciously did one of the following:

• Caused physical damage to someone else’s property in an amount exceeding $1,500
  • Caused and interruption of service to the public by tampering with an emergency vehicle or property of the state, or public utilities, transportation, power, or communication
  • Caused an impairment of the safety, operations, or efficiency of an aircraft by tampering with the aircraft or equipment
First degree malicious mischief is a Class B felony and is a seriousness level II which means that if you have no criminal record you may be sentenced to 2-6 months in prison.
Malicious Mischief in the Second Degree

If you are charged with this offense the prosecution will have to prove that you knowingly and maliciously cause physical damage or someone else’s property in an amount exceeding $250 or create a risk of interruption of public services through tampering or damaging.
Second degree malicious mischief is a Class C felony and is punishable by up to 60 days in prison if you have no prior convictions on your record. If you do have a criminal record, this sentence could reach 18 months in prison.

Thats a pretty weird event if the man just drove down your sideyard and got stuck... I think you made the right choice by keeping the problem as far from yourself as you could though. Damn tweakers :wierd:. Now you have to wait till spring to grow some grass :farmer:.

-Lyle

Sorry to hear Matt, I think you made the right decision. Might be time for a very large electronic gate?

-Alex

Fixed...:twak:

Sorry to hear about this unfortunate event Matt. If you need any :helpme: with a gate or something similar, I would be more than willing to lend a hand!

Hope all goes well!

Keil

Matt

So what did you need a sledgehammer for?
Don't feel bad i had some tweekers steal my tranny and transfercase when i had it out and was having someone work on it.....Of course i do live in lewis county so maybe that explains quite a bit......:idea:

-PJ-

Malicious mischief in the 1st degree can be proven by showing that you knowingly and maliciously did one of the following:

• Caused physical damage to someone else’s property in an amount exceeding $1,500
  • Caused and interruption of service to the public by tampering with an emergency vehicle or property of the state, or public utilities, transportation, power, or communication
  • Caused an impairment of the safety, operations, or efficiency of an aircraft by tampering with the aircraft or equipment
First degree malicious mischief is a Class B felony and is a seriousness level II which means that if you have no criminal record you may be sentenced to 2-6 months in prison.

Malicious Mischief in the Second Degree

If you are charged with this offense the prosecution will have to prove that you knowingly and maliciously cause physical damage or someone else’s property in an amount exceeding $250 or create a risk of interruption of public services through tampering or damaging.
Second degree malicious mischief is a Class C felony and is punishable by up to 60 days in prison if you have no prior convictions on your record. If you do have a criminal record, this sentence could reach 18 months in prison.

Yeah ok Joe so what happens when this guy goes to Jail? Say he has a family and he is the only one supporting them, they now are left without an income leaving them to fend for themselves or go on welfare. Or his wife/ spouse whatever goes to work/ crime to support the kids who now are left with no parents to raise them and continue the crime circle. Sometimes its better to just let some stuff go... I am in no way defending what happened on Matt's property, I have been there and it takes one helluva idiot to ignore the many signs that get back there. I'm actually more surprised that he didn't drive off the road at any point.

Good thing he didn't stop in your neighbors front yard Matt...;)

-Alex

Malicious requires that he intended to do damage which I do not believe to be the case. Furthermore I would have difficulty quantifying damages to a field of canary grass so the $250 threshold could be difficult.

It might make you feel better that on the last winch pull I had Mr. Adair stop the vehicle in the deepest mud possible, about 12 inches deep. Prior to asking Ray the tweaker to crawl under the vehicle again I asked for the jacket back that I had lent him.

You see it had been cold and rainy; so I leant him a jacket as hypothermia is a serious thing. However prior to turning him loose some dark part of my soul demanded that he get very muddy and more uncomfortable… that be mildly malicious my friend. :looney:

Malicious requires that he intended to do damage which I do not believe to be the case. Furthermore I would have difficulty quantifying damages to a field of canary grass so the $250 threshold could be difficult.

It might make you feel better that on the last winch pull I had Mr. Adair stop the vehicle in the deepest mud possible, about 12 inches deep. Prior to asking Ray the tweaker to crawl under the vehicle again I asked for the jacket back that I had lent him.

You see it had been cold and rainy; so I leant him a jacket as hypothermia is a serious thing. However prior to turning him loose some dark part of my soul demanded that he get very muddy and more uncomfortable… that be mildly malicious my friend. :looney:

:explosionhahahaha

Keil

Yeah ok Joe so what happens when this guy goes to Jail? Say he has a family and he is the only one supporting them, they now are left without an income leaving them to fend for themselves or go on welfare. Or his wife/ spouse whatever goes to work/ crime to support the kids who now are left with no parents to raise them and continue the crime circle. Sometimes its better to just let some stuff go... I am in no way defending what happened on Matt's property, I have been there and it takes one helluva idiot to ignore the many signs that get back there. I'm actually more surprised that he didn't drive off the road at any point.

Good thing he didn't stop in your neighbors front yard Matt...;)

-Alex

I'm all for the Death Penalty as a versatile tool of population control.

Then he's pissed you Fed him in the A and he sets your house on fire. - You said he had bad judgement, I ran with it.

Why so pissed off? I have seven acres I've been stuck in the new John Deere twice, the XJ on 35's once and my Chevy on 35s once. I'd have had a beer with the guy and asked politely not to return.

Matt, I used to believe that I lived in the "boonies". Now that I have been to your house, I no longer believe that.

I am sorry for the issues, It is a shame that we have such people as part of our sociaty. The way in which our sociaty deals with them is a learning experience all on it's own. I think you made a good choice. I hope you at least get several good chuckles out of the experience once you are able to get past it (I know for me it takes a while!!).

The gate. I have a very simple gate, it is a little frustrating to open/close manually on a regular basis, but it keeps our guard gog on our property and keeps the UPS man off of my property as well as anyone else that I don't want in. It is simple and yet EXTREMELY effective. Eventually I will probably put an electric actuator on it but for now it works great.

Electronic gate? Alex you obviously aren't spending enough time in class.

Next time I see you I expect a simple 1 page report on the difference between Electric and Electronic:sure:

Michael

Thanks for the perspectives. While frustrating it has been an interesting issue to contemplate. I live where I live because I value privacy and appreciate nature. I will most likely put in a gate; Ian has requested rock pile on the side so that he won't have to get out of his vehicle... it might be a nice touch.

Hopefully Mr. Adair will post some good photos.

Back