• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Turbo 400 slipping in reverse

Muddy Beast

NAXJA Forum User
Hi All,

So I bought an '87 Chevy G20 conversion van for mountain bike trips and such and found that reverse gear has some issues. I've read up on a ton of forums and get all sorts of directions to go, figured I'd try and narrow it down here.

Reverse appears to be slipping. On flat land I can ease on reverse and all is fine (though it does seem to rev too high and lack power). Once I get going, I can go up a steep incline in reverse. If I stop on a hill and try to reverse up it, it revs much higher and either barely moves or doesn't move at all. It feels like something is binding, almost like the axle is twisting further than the joints can handle.

I just changed the filter out and refilled it, there was also a vacuum line that was cracked and I replaced that. The bottom of the pan was coated in black gunk. Fluid looked/smelt mostly normal. I drove the car for 25min and returned to flat ground to fill it up properly. I have engine braking in first gear and it seems to shift fine in all gears, best I can tell. No slipping in other gears as far as I can tell either, though I've been hesitant to hammer on it.

I believe the van has 105k on it, but it is a 5 digit odometer and have no way to confirm this - basing this off last reported mileage to carfax and the PO history I was told.

Any thoughts? I'm hoping I can fix the issue without tearing the transmission apart. Any links to relevant tutorials would be appreciated. My next move is to attempt adjusting the shifter, though it seems to be fine. After that I figure I'll try checking line pressure, but I'm not entirely sure how that will help me narrow down the issue.

Thanks in advance!

Note: Transmissions are not my thing, never messed with one before.

I am not a trans expert at all but I will add to this. I had an 88 V20 suburban with a th400. Trans worked completely fine, all gears shifted great then one day I too noticed reverse wasn't quite a powerful. Eventually it got to a point where it didn't move at all. I added an entire bottle of lucas trans fix "goop" and it helped a tiny bit but any real pull on reverse was useless.

I had a good mechanic friend who rebuilt auto trans for a living and after he test drove it he said the only way to get reverse back was to drop the trans and do a rebuild. I was young, broke, and had no mechanical experience so I cut my losses and sold it for what I could get.

I believe they are fairly simple to rebuild though. I thought I saw an episode on Trucks or xtreme 4x4 where they tore one apart...

Back