• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trailer Shopping...

Re: Trailer SHopping...

No experience with PJ trailers, but I would be sure to get the 10K GVWR option and opt out of the dovetail (unless you plan on using it with your Camaro).

When I bought my trailer it was a $450 option to step up to the 10K GVWR, it gets you larger axles, larger brakes, heavier duty tires, and bigger wheels. Think about it another way, with a 7K GVWR and a base weight of 2360lbs (before you add stuff like a spare tire, the larger hitch, etc) you can only put 4600 lbs before you are at the "limit" of the trailer. I'm sure when you are done your XJ and parts are going to be really close to that number.

I'd also want to go and look at a couple before laying down the cash. The trailer looks nice in the pictures though.

Last edited:

x2 with what Bill said.

We have a 7k GVWR and I'm pretty sure Bill's XJ and Carmelo's J10 did a number on that thing and the axles are now bent badly enough the tires wear out in a few hundred miles (partially bent when we bought it though). Definitely upgrading to 10k for ours now.

Also, consider the flip up ramp gate option if you're using it for your Camaro too. Helps protect against anyone rearending the trailer and hitting it. Here:

100_0314.jpg

No experience with PJ trailers, but I would be sure to get the 10K GVWR option and opt out of the dovetail (unless you plan on using it with your Camaro).

When I bought my trailer it was a $450 option to step up to the 10K GVWR, it gets you larger axles, larger brakes, heavier duty tires, and bigger wheels. Think about it another way, with a 7K GVWR and a base weight of 2360lbs (before you add stuff like a spare tire, the larger hitch, etc) you can only put 4600 lbs before you are at the "limit" of the trailer. I'm sure when you are done your XJ and parts are going to be really close to that number.

I'd also want to go and look at a couple before laying down the cash. The trailer looks nice in the pictures though.

What brand of trailer did you get? I am also looking at Kaufman and Big Tex trailers. I just really like the extra width of the PJ. I would make the jump to 10K, that is a definite. Not worth it on a new one to just do a 7K. And yes, the Camaro will probably do some time on it too, so it has to be "Camaro-approved".

My trailer is a Belmont Machine MD-818, flat deck, 10K GVWR, slide in ramps, 10K jack, spare tire & mount. I did add the spare tire and mount myself after purchase as I didn't like the in front placement if I ever wanted a future winch. I chatted with the dealer a few weeks ago and this could now be an option. No complaints thus far and I have a few thousand miles on it. I had not seen the extra width and drive over fenders of that PJ Buggy Hauler until just now. That is a neat option assuming it does not add a lot to the price tag.

I will say that digging in the last few minutes I noticed that the PJ tailers put the ramps pull out from the side if you don't have a flip up gate. I don't like this. My Belmont slides out from the rear and makes it nice if you park next to someone or something. I did that to Johnny this year at NACFest and had to move so he could get his ramps out.

I'm sure you saw my trailer but just in case; nice and high and the ramps are tucked away:
18_10K_Trailer2.jpg

Horrible shot, but you can see my added spare tire mount:
JeepLoadedTrailer.jpg

With the tail being so low on mine, I hardly ever use the ramps on my trailer. I guess it could be an issue with the camaro though... But if you're mostly going to be pulling around the XJ, and it's a dovetail, I wouldn't let the side-loading ramp setup deter me, if the price is right.

Belmont Machine is local to me too. I think I'll talk to a dealer and see how they price out compared to the PJ.
When I chatted with the folks at Belmont they were very nice.
I'm curious as well on the price. If you don't mind I'd love to know what the difference in cost is to one of those "buggy haulers".
With the tail being so low on mine, I hardly ever use the ramps on my trailer. I guess it could be an issue with the camaro though... But if you're mostly going to be pulling around the XJ, and it's a dovetail, I wouldn't let the side-loading ramp setup deter me, if the price is right.
It isn't so much being able to drive up on the trailer as pushing the tow rig forward and not being good for the trans/e-brake without someone inside. It only takes 2 minutes to pull out the ramps and put them back in.

It isn't so much being able to drive up on the trailer as pushing the tow rig forward and not being good for the trans/e-brake without someone inside. It only takes 2 minutes to pull out the ramps and put them back in.

parking pins are for panzees

damn I thought this was a thread about moving.....

Yup, the ass end of my CTD has come off the ground a few times even with the ramp down.

I always have someone sit in the truck (or put it in 4WD and 1st with it shut off) to keep it from rolling.

And then there is a Kaufman Trailer.... Brand new 18ft 10K @ $2780:wow::confused:

Not sure how they can do that, but that price is tempting. I'll take a look at the Econo-Trailers too...

A.

Why are you buying a new trailer?
If it is anything like the reason why I purchased a new one; then it is because all the used ones in the area either need so much work that you'll be within pennies of a new one anyway or they are asking so much for the used ones you'll still be within pennies of a new one.

I dunno if they go that big, but Burkholder Trailers up on 322 past 82 makes some nice ones.
They offer all kinds of options.
I think they also sell Pequea? Might be worth a call for pricing...

Back