• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trail leaders

PacificEd

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
It looks like the turnout continues to grow. We will need to be ready to have a bunch of trail leaders and gunners ready.

I posted my routes last year and I think this worked well for my group. We really need to find others who want to lead and get them to lay out their routes in advance. We don't want to run into each other or get held up. We need to flow.

All the guys who know the trails well always seem to pile up and ride with each other. This mostly applies to the difficult runs. Everyone wants to see Ghost demolish his rig.

I would like to see Tim and Aaron take their own easy group. They have been with Ed 3 years in a row and actually do know how to read a map :)

Extreme I know Jim is a great leader. Maybe Ghost and Doug could take a another group?

EOR tends to keep to themselves and usually have a big group. Jason can you help another Harlan vet plan rides based on your trail selection?

I'm not sure who could lead another intermediate right now. I am comfortable with a larger group as we ran less trails daily, but took our time and challenged ourselves last year.

I already posted in one of the other topics that I would be willing to lead an easy group, and I still am.

Guess we'll see how the interest in that group starts to pan out.

I would be willing to help someone lead a intermediate group, but I'm uncomfortable leading a group by myself...I still don't know that place very well, but can definitely help someone with a group on an intermediate trail.

mac 'however that pans out' gyvr

Easy #1- Ed and Mark
Easy #2- Tim and Aaron
Intermediate #1- Nick and ?
*Going to have to see how the Intermediate and Hard groups settle when it gets closer. Right now I count about 10 for intermediate which is a bit too much for one group. Might need to find another group leader.
Intermediate #2- Dougy Fresh
Hard- Wade and Dan
EOR- EOR
Extreme- Jim and Glenn

Last edited:
Yeah nick I'm down for whatever. I think I'm going to take a group around the mountain and start at the evarts trail head to hit lower garden, pin ball, rail bed, killin' time, valve stem, and grape vine. I also plan on running mason jar for a revenge run unless it's raining again.

Please let me know what I am going to be looking at for group size. I probably won't be limiting my ride like I did last year. I'd like to plan out some routes and places to see.

I'd also like to know where are leaders are planning to go so we don't end up all jammed up on a trail.

t now I'm only counting 9 not including leaders and gunners, so it looks like you should stay decently small with two easy groups going out.

I know everyone wants to start at LRG (lower rock garden). Its a great place to get the rigs on rocks with an easy recovery. I think the bigger groups should hit it first, most likely if they get into trouble it will be past the turnout for the next group, allowing them to still run it.

I've got the map out now, I'll put together some ideas for my group.

The problem with the lower rock garden is if you don't hit it early, it is hot since there is no shade in the middle of the day. Been there and done that. If you go early, it is still cool with some shade.

I will have a lot of kids on my ride so baking in the hot sun isn't a lot of fun.

We really need to see who else is leading rides and make a game plan of who is going where. That way there are no log jambs on the trail.

FYI, Mark is my gunner.

What other guys are going to lead trails?

The problem with the lower rock garden is if you don't hit it early, it is hot since there is no shade in the middle of the day. Been there and done that. If you go early, it is still cool with some shade.

I will have a lot of kids on my ride so baking in the hot sun isn't a lot of fun.

We really need to see who else is leading rides and make a game plan of who is going where. That way there are no log jambs on the trail.

FYI, Mark is my gunner.

What other guys are going to lead trails?

I will go to Pinball/Rail Bed first and leave that first morning slot open for LRG. After LRG head to Fish Fossil. Second day will head over the mtn on Trail 15, hit anything we didn't get to on day 1, URG and Intimidator. 3rd day I'm not sure about yet, may do some sight seeing to Stadium or the goldfish pond, catch up with extreme to watch Lions Den, or scout some new trails.

I have talked with Ben, who made the flags for winterfest for people to line up behind for organizing trails and he is going to be bringing them to Harlan to use to help with organizing lines.

mac 'he reminded me' gyvr

I see that group size and what rides were taking place were brought up. I sure wish other leaders would have posted what their plans were as to give people options. As I was the only one (other than Ghost) who posted any sort of agenda/route for the masses to see, my groups got large quick.

I've tried to set the lead on this and no one ever seems to post ride threads.

Although my rides were huge, everyone seemed to keep coming back for more each day. Little Shepard was a bust and I won't run the paved portion again (or maybe skip the entire thing). We ran a lot of new trails this year and did see some awesome scenery. I think this is one of my best times at Harlan so far.

You just have to understand it's a scenic trail and the group need a to move through the none scenic portion at a steady fast pace or it gets boring quick.

What messed us up was 22 rigs trying to run it coupled with the fact that I didn't know the trail or where any of the overlooks were located. Combine that with a couple of rigs that had issues and it became a long day with a bunch of bored people.

Oh well, what can you do? Live and learn.

Yep. That's a trail you need to do with 5 rigs tops.

LOL! I know now.

Did you guys do anything on the other side of Hwy 160 where it goes through the Kingdom Come Park?

Back