• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

to sell or not to sell...

DutchVDub

NAXJA Forum User
I'm actually thinking of getting rid of the new XJ. I've had it for a good 2 weeks and while its a good overall vehicle, and definately a good starting point for lifting/wheeling I'm just not sure if I want to keep it. A lot of it stems from the fact that my 99 was so damn clean and pretty, it had the updated Chrysler designed interior and the updated exterior. The 92 has that AMC interior and quite frankly I'm just not a fan. Its not something that I can see myself driving on a day to day basis, where as my 99 XJ was. I know I can get my money back from it, and maybe even turn a profit. I put a factory radio back in it, fixed the automatic atenna, replaced the chewed up back seat, and most importantly replaced the windscreen. I'm pretty certain that as long as give it a good detailing I could get 1500$ for it. As for what to replace it with, I'm thinking one of three vehicles. Either a 97 or newer XJ (thats the updated style like what my 99 was), a ZJ (Grand Cherokee, most likely try for a V8 version), or a first generation Range Rover. The Range Rover is the bigger of the three, and I know parts are less available for them. Still, there is something about the first gen Range Rovers I love. I'd be spending about the same to lift a Range Rover to clear 33's as I would for either the XJ or ZJ, and the Rover has the advantage of a full frame (both XJ and ZJ are unibody). A lot of this comes from the fact that I do want my 4 door to be relatively nice as besides going to/from work it will be my daily (kid enroute after all) vehicle, also maybe I'm getting old or something but I like more modern/comfy interiors. Anyways, thats all. I just had to unload it from my mind.
updated XJ on 32's (my old one to be exact, damn teenagers):
Picture004.jpg

ZJ on 33's:
500lt_04.jpg

Range Rover Classic on metric equivalent of 32's:
ECRRRFinal.jpg

131_0509_04s+1988_Land_Rover_Range_Rover+Passenger_Side_View_Off_Roading.jpg

I have had 3 ZJs, 1 WJ, 6 XJs. If I was to get one to be dual purpous I would go for the ZJ. I loved my 94 ZJ V8. It was great wheeler with leather and power everthing. The Rover is going to be alot heavier then the ZJ or XJ. Weight makes a difference on the trail. I bought my wife a WJ now. And I have me 2 door XJ. My last ZJ was a 93 with 4.0 it was nice just a dog.
RedCone065.jpg

Here is pic on the way to the top of Red Cone. It was a pretty comfy 8 hour day of wheeling.

Last edited:
i say go for the zj man...like josh said(stang5lgt) they are comfortable and we could always do things to make it strong...range rovers are heavy but its all up to you

You get more bang for your buck if you buy domestic, but you know that.

The only person I know who has done well with a limey also worked as an A&P mechanic, and also has many years experience building engines. He doesn't speak limey, he speaks engine, and he corrects design deficiencies. I stick with more commonly available, less expensive, proven assemblies...I ain't no stinkin engine builder.

All that aside, if you don't like the package you start with, you won't like it until you make it into something completely different, or buy something that better suits your taste. FWIW, I really like leather seats. My creaky old bones feel much better after hours of riding or driving. The leather just seems to give better support.

The amazing thing I find here is all the guys on an XJ forum saying to go with a ZJ. Hey, is there a NAZJA forum. :)

Haven't made my final decision yet, just kind of pondering my options. If I do get rid of it though I'll probably get a ZJ.

My boss told me his neighbor wants to sell his 96 ZJ V8 he told me it only has 40k guy wants 3500 bucks for it. I don't know if the mileage is for real but if you are interested would be a hell of a deal. 96 is good year. They got rid of most of the probs by then and had some upgrades that year. Guy told him mileage is from getting towed behind a motor home. Let me know and I will find out more for ya.

DutchVDub said:
The amazing thing I find here is all the guys on an XJ forum saying to go with a ZJ. Hey, is there a NAZJA forum. :)

Haven't made my final decision yet, just kind of pondering my options. If I do get rid of it though I'll probably get a ZJ.
I'm still on my first XJ. I never drove a ZJ so I can't tell you how they handle. My wife picked out our '90 for her DD. Somehow, that makes my wrenching worthwhile. Bear in mind that she has called her own car "the other woman" just for feeling like a wrench-widow.

I can tell you that if you don't like what you have to start with, any work you do on it is just pissing up a rope. If you have never dirven a ZJ, I guess it's time to take a few test drives.

Happy hunting!

I dunno....... As far as utility, the ZJ and XJ are gonna get the same things accomplished. Neither has more seating than the other, no real difference in interior room or comfort. The XJ in V8 form is gonna cost more in fuel, but the trade off is better power/towing capabilities if that's a consideration.

I've never liked the GC's from a driver's aspect. The dash is too high, same with the center console. I'm not a big fan of their appearance either for the most part, but after '98 they did get a little better looking.

A neighbor lady had a '95 and had nothing but problems with it. I used to do what I could to fix it, but the wiring issues were piling up. (Windows quit working, locks quit working, dash electrics quit working, tail lights/back up lights quit working......)

If I wasn't needing the V8, I'd snatch up a clean '98 or newer XJ Limited and never look back...... :D

I don't know guys, I did love my 99 XJ. That thing was perfect. Maybe I'm just being picky. I really just want it back, even if it does make me sound like a bitch. It was my "welcome back from Iraq" present to myself and met all of my criteria spot on, well ok it didn't have cruise control. Still, that the one thing wrong with it and as I've never had cruise control it didn;t bother me at all. I'll probably wind up wasting a whole bunch of time and money getting rid of this perfectly good XJ just so I can find another 97 or newer. Just to have it it be a lemon, that being my luck and all. So basically I'm just going to have to tell myself what none of you told me, "Quit your crying pansy boy, an XJ is an XJ. Now you're going to build this one and love every knuckle busting, dollar burning minute of it."

DutchVDub said:
"Quit your crying pansy boy, an XJ is an XJ. Now you're going to build this one and love every knuckle busting, dollar burning minute of it."

Not true. If you don't like it now, you'll just be more ticked down the line after you've sunk stupid amounts of money into it. Ask me how I know. Get what you want, don't settle.

I had a 99 XJ for awhile and the interior is alot nicer it is the one sitting in the water in my avatar. It didn't have cruise either. It was nice Jeep and fun to drive. But ZJ alot more room. Rides nicer with coils in the rear. Plus they have heated mirrors no more scraping ice off you mirrors. Plus behind the rear seat there is enough room for 4.0L don't ask me how I know.

I'm holding off to hear from my g/f's dad. His boss is selling a 94 Range Rover and he said he would try and buy it for us, if that happens that'll be the new baby hauler / weekend wheeler. If he doesn't get it for us then I'll stick with the 92. I can always swap dash's later, its the only part of the interior I don't like.

Stang5lgt said:
Plus they have heated mirrors no more scraping ice off you mirrors.

So does my 99XJ... nice.:yelclap:

hey, my 99 didn't have heated mirrors. por que? donde esta dónde mis espejos calentados

91 Jeep Project said:
Was an option on Limiteds.

or on my "sport"...;)

Back