• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tips for stayin warm

jjchgo

NAXJA Forum User
anyone got any good tips as far as staying warm? talkin about campin mainly?

cheers,

jj

have a nice warm body to curl up next to

have a small propane heater

use a good sleeping bag, on a good pad

drink until you pass out, and you won't feel the cold until morning

how safe are those propane heaters for a tent. i figure you would just use it to warm up the tent and then turn it off to go to sleep?

cheers,

jj

yeah, I wouldn't really trust to leave one on all night, but I believe they are pretty safe. Would definitely be nice to have, in case you can't stay warm. Just fire it up for a while, until you can feel your feet again

If there is electricity i have used a small space heater all night long set on low with night time temps in the high 20's. Mine shuts off if tipped over in my 8 person tent. You will need plenty of space between you and it and the wall.

Stay warm
Spounge Bob

What a bunch of girly girlz!!!!!!!!!!

I have never heard more bitching about the cold in all my life!!!

heaters in tents? you gotta be kidding me?

you are supposed to be outdoor grizzly bears, you drive jeeps!

Jeepers say "bring on the blizzard! bring on the cold!"

Jeepers don't put heaters in tents,

Geo Tracker girls on a candy-azz car-camping trip do.....

JJ, the best way to conserve heat is to sleep on an air pad to insulate you from the cold ground. Next, throw away that cotton-fill open-top bag you had from when you were a kid, and get a quality MUMMY bag with polyguard or other synthetic layered fill. Goosedown provides awesome warmth, but are usually more expensive temp-for-temp rating. You want a bag with a temp rating at or below 0-degrees.....20 degree bags are for 3 seasons, or 4-season backpackers who can't afford the extra weight in their packs....If you have a 20-degree bag already, you can get a polar-fleece liner, that will lower the rating of the bag by 15-25 degrees.....this is an excellent option.

Do not crawl in your bag with lots of cloths on.....the heat from your body will escape through the fibers of your cotton clothing (especially denim) and be trapped between your bag and you clothes.....instead, get a pair of medium weight polypropylene tops and bottoms, and before you go to bed, get in your bag VERTICALLY if you have to wearing only these itmes....do a couple jumping jacks in your bag, making sure your mummy hood is closed. This will raise the temperature inside your bag, and your body will get off to a good start, and should be able to maintain a good temperature more easily......if the temperature drops below the rating of your bag and you start to feel it, don't put on more clothes, rather, stuff the clothes loosely in your bag around you.

One last thig before someone suggests it, cause its a common misconception......

a 4-season tent does not provide any more warmth! "4-season" tents are merely constructed a little bit more to handle the weight of snow and wind! You will not be any warmer inside a tent! Tents have an r-value similar to that of a sheet of wet toliet paper.

A canvas scout tent and a 15k btu Mr Heater is a perfect combo for temps below 5-10 degrees. Crank up the heater and leave the flaps untied, you can sleep in your boxers, and be completely comfy. Plus there's no fighting with that damn zipper when you gotta take a leak at about 4:30am or so.

Back