• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

T-case ID

trickcomanche

NAXJA Forum User
Got an 88 XJ Larado 4x4 4.0 aw4 231. My 231 has the full time 4x4 option. Want to swap in a 231 that doesent have that option. Can anyone tell me (so I dont have to pull it and see) what input the t-case has. 21 or 23 spline and long or short input. I have a 231 that came out of a 95 4.0 Ax15. It has 23 spline short input. Hoping to just slpa that bad boy in.

Trick

LOL no im not. ha ha ha Just havent crawld under it, but im 95% sure. My cuz had an 87 with a 231J with the full time option. Now the 23 spline I have has only 231 stamped on it. Regaurless I wana swap in a regular 231. I have a 23 spline to trade for a 21 spline.

The 88 came with the 231 (no full time) and the 242 (full time). You have a 242 if you have the full time option. As far as i know, the 242 is a 21 spline, but i may be wrong on spline count.

Ypu have 2 TC to work with 1 at 21 sp and 1 at 23, or am I miss-understanding? If you do swap the shafts. the 231 TC never had 4FT, only the 242. Both TC were available with both spline counts, something to whatch out for when getting use TC. different sp counts were used with different trannies.

Is there a possibilty the shifter gate was changed at some point?

Take a picture, it is pretty easy to tell the difference. The 242 is much bigger to accomodate the extra FT assembly . The 231 was never a F/T case

Got an 88 XJ Larado 4x4 4.0 aw4 231. My 231 has the full time 4x4 option. Want to swap in a 231 that doesent have that option. Can anyone tell me (so I dont have to pull it and see) what input the t-case has. 21 or 23 spline and long or short input. I have a 231 that came out of a 95 4.0 Ax15. It has 23 spline short input. Hoping to just slpa that bad boy in.

Trick

The "high-end" 88 Laredo could be equipped the same wasy as the Limited (FT4WD option, "power everything,") so that's a possiblity.

The transfer case input, however, isn't a matter of transmission option alone - it was a matter of timing.

The AX-15 Tcase will be a 23-spline input. Period. The BA-10/5 Tcase will have a 21-spline input. Period.

The AW4 seemed to have a 21-spline output through 1991, then started with a 23-spline in 1992.

However, the shift linkage may differ between the NP231 and NP242, so you may need to replace that anyhow. Call Novak, see if they have a 21-sp input gear for your 1993 NP231 (they probably can get one for you,) and order their shift linkage kit.

Be sure to specify the year of your transfer case when ordering the gear, since they changed the helix angle of the input gearset around that time (1993 or 1994) as well. Mixing helix angles is a Very Bad Thing - you usually end up draning your input gear teeth with your next fluid change...

Also, on the notebook for that rig (you do keep a notebook for that rig, right? Why not?) note the donors for your parts so you don't get screwed up when you're looking for replacement little goodies...

Lol I just havent crawled my fat arss under it to find out. The T-case I wna trade is a 23 spline 231 from behind a 1995 Ax15. That one will not work. Just need one out of a 87-89 Pioneer with an Aw4. Right?

Back