• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Swamp Lake trip July 26-28 2013

Goatman

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
If you haven't done this trip yet, you don't know what you're missing. Many drive for many more hours to run the Rubicon and this is arguably a better trip and much closer. The trail is a 14 mile loop trail (the 'Con is 9 miles) and we camp about halfway through at one of the best Jeep camping sites you'll ever be at, right next to Grouse Lake at '9200. We camp near Dinky Creek Thurs night, which is about an hour east of Fresno, then hit the trail Fri morning. Fri and Sat we camp at the lake, then finish the trail on Sunday. The trail has moderate rock crawling, well, depends on what you call moderate, 33's and one locker are fine, and ton's of great scenery. The trail is very remote, so equipment and maintenance need to be in order.

You can easily drive up after work on Thurs, and make it home Sunday evening. This is a family oriented trip, I'll be bringing my 3 grandsons, and there are always plenty of kids. We swim, boat, fish, hike, visit, whatever. We like it quiet in camp, no music blaring, and we haven't had drunkeness around the campfire until halfway through the night. This is an enjoyable, chill out, wheeling and camping trip. I'll post directions as we get closer.

Would be great to get a good group from SoCal this year, had quite a few last year. Here's a link to reports on last years trip: http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1086951

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

In! This would be a great Bday present to me :)

Taking my kid and my Dog with me. Looking forward to this.

Cant make it that weekend. Wife's bday is the 27th. but a little birdie told me that the trail has gotten tougher this year.

How tough we talking?

Over the years the trail has progressively become deeper in certain areas and has become easier in the traditionally challenging sections because of rock stacking and clearing by local clubs. I'm not sure of which areas have changed over the 2013 winter, as the trail is still closed, but a buddy that hiked it said that it all looks much deeper than last year.

If you've never run this trail, it is mostly a cruising trail and is one of the most beautiful rides out there. Grouse lake at sunset can make water come from the eyes and Little Doris lake is a hidden jewel of a pond.

Over the years the trail has progressively become deeper in certain areas and has become easier in the traditionally challenging sections because of rock stacking and clearing by local clubs. I'm not sure of which areas have changed over the 2013 winter, as the trail is still closed, but a buddy that hiked it said that it all looks much deeper than last year.

If you've never run this trail, it is mostly a cruising trail and is one of the most beautiful rides out there. Grouse lake at sunset can make water come from the eyes and Little Doris lake is a hidden jewel of a pond.

Sounds like a fantastic time! I am clear for July from the 19th-29th. super stoked for this.

Not going to be able to make it but trust me, this is a fantastic weekend.

A few photos from 2012:
Swamp+Lake+2012+-+045.jpg

Swamp+Lake+2012+-+073.jpg

Swamp+Lake+2012+-+107.jpg

Swamp+Lake+2012+-+114.jpg

Swamp+Lake+2012+-+150.jpg

Swamp+Lake+2012+-+161.jpg

Swamp+Lake+2012+-+228.jpg

Swamp+Lake+2012+-+245.jpg

Swamp+Lake+2012+-+246.jpg

Swamp+Lake+2012+-+285.jpg

Swamp+Lake+2012+-+324.jpg

Swamp+Lake+2012+-+344.jpg

Swamp+Lake+2012+-+350.jpg

Difficultly level... Think the Eastern rock garden on John Bull. You don't get much that is more difficult than that but it is for a longer duration. There is also a lot of easy wheeling in between so it doesn't get too tiring. As Richard said make sure your vehicle is in good shape though. We wouldn't want to have to two a vehicle out again!

If my front 44 is in and the 3 link and steering are dialed in ill be able to make this...
oh yah, Im a Sierra chapter Guy.

IN!

Really looking forward to this trip! I do it every year and it is such a great time! Bring your fishing poles! My kids love fishing there because it is so easy to catch fish.

We are hoping to make this trip. I have a ton of work going on in July, so this would be a last minute trip for us if we can make it.

We would have atleast two of our kids with us.

Hope you can make it dude. The kids should have a blast

This is a most awesome trip. I made it through in a giant Landcruiser, but barely. It is an FJ model The trip calls for an XJ! I did have a NAXJA sticker on it which I am sure helped. Beautiful and challenging!

Back