• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering shaft really the same?

jragan

NAXJA Forum User
The factory parts changed fairly often. The aftermarket replacement is probably one-size-fits-all, assuming it has a telescoping joint. I thought the column end of the shaft changed in the later years but dunno for sure, the gearbox end stayed the same.

I do know a 96 shaft will not fit a pre 96, tried it, no go! It will only work if you swap the boxes. I have never tried it on our 2000 XJ to see if the 96+ are the same.

The factory parts changed fairly often. The aftermarket replacement is probably one-size-fits-all, assuming it has a telescoping joint. I thought the column end of the shaft changed in the later years but dunno for sure, the gearbox end stayed the same.
That's my impression. I can't remember details now, but some years ago I was hoping to replace the shaft on my 95 with a newer type, and my recollection is that the newer type shaft did not fit the column. I do know, however, that the boxes are all physically interchangeable, even if they differ internally regarding boost levels and so forth. My 95 has an 89 box on it, and my 99 has a 96 box.

Back