• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering column cover removal

pabloconrad

NAXJA Forum User
Hey.

I posted this in OEM Tech but not getting any answers.

I have to replace the actual ignition swith assembly in my 85 and am trying to take off the cover. I have all the bolts removed and it will come out about 3 inches but then seems to jam. Am I missing something?

There's a rod going down the column and I think it may be the shift lock from the floor shifter. I don't know.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I need my Jeep to tow a moving trailer to Seattle at the end of the year.

Thanks.

EDIT: I just read your OEM post and responded over there.

Seems to me you'd be better off just getting an entire column from another XJ and swapping that in rather than trying to "overhaul" the existing column.

I've got a black column in an '86 MJ that would work for ya.

Last edited:
I'm just replacing some gear on the back of the lock cylinder but can't get to it. I don't want to replace the whole steering column just this one piece.

So I just need to get the cover off, or just put it together and rig a start button.

Back