• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

So my xj is screwed

89jeepxjw

NAXJA Forum User
It was making some weird noises over bumps and right turns, I didnt think anything of it as its an 89 and all xj's make weird noises. I went to clean it out last friday and popped open the rear passanger door only to find a gigantic crack running the perimeter of the inside doorway, Its opened up enough to where I can stick a razor blade through the crack. Upon further inspection there is another crack that runs underneath the rear seat. Im going to see what insurance has to say about it but I really dont want to attempt to fix it, this is just the reason i was looking for to get rid of it. So im thinking Im going to part it out, long arms and all and snag this 97 I gawk over every day on the ride to work. I think this build is going to be a lot simpler, prob RE 5.5 with drop brakcets and braces, lock the 30, and build a 29spliner 8.25 with some sort of LSD. A part of me wants to weld it up and call it good but i really do want somehting newer with alot less miles on it. What do you guys think?

89jeepxjw said:
It was making some weird noises over bumps and right turns, I didnt think anything of it as its an 89 and all xj's make weird noises. I went to clean it out last friday and popped open the rear passanger door only to find a gigantic crack running the perimeter of the inside doorway, Its opened up enough to where I can stick a razor blade through the crack. Upon further inspection there is another crack that runs underneath the rear seat. Im going to see what insurance has to say about it but I really dont want to attempt to fix it, this is just the reason i was looking for to get rid of it. So im thinking Im going to part it out, long arms and all and snag this 97 I gawk over every day on the ride to work. I think this build is going to be a lot simpler, prob RE 5.5 with drop brakcets and braces, lock the 30, and build a 29spliner 8.25 with some sort of LSD. A part of me wants to weld it up and call it good but i really do want somehting newer with alot less miles on it. What do you guys think?

That sounds like a very nasty crack. I think you have talked yourself into a 97. You know, you could buy the 97 and still weld up the old one. Two XJ's are better than one.

this is scary i just had a long post about unibody failure and I was assured not to worry about it that it was unlikely to ever happen , now I read this and it makes wonder yet again. Does the construction of the XJ inevitably fail apart?

BTW mine is a 2000 not sure if there is a huge difference in the strength of the structure from the 1997 body change.

detailbarn said:
this is scary i just had a long post about unibody failure and I was assured not to worry about it that it was unlikely to ever happen , now I read this and it makes wonder yet again. Does the construction of the XJ inevitably fail apart?

BTW mine is a 2000 not sure if there is a huge difference in the strength of the structure from the 1997 body change.
Yes your 2000 has a stronger tub than the 89. Somthing to remember is how long have they been making unibody vehicles, and how often do you hear of it happening?

Im really considering this a fluke, my friends 87 has been to hell and back and has held up way better than mine. From day one I knew there was something not right with this 89, its just never felt solid or sturdy. I got a test drive with the 97 yesterday and its a huge improvemnent. Its got 120k so its decent with over 100k less miles than my 89 :) I offered the hot little co-ed 3200 cash and she said she would wait till this weekend to see if she has anymore offers and if not she would meet me at 3300. Let me tell you nothing makes you feel more manly then to drive a small jeep with cherries and dolphins hanging form the rear view mirror with cherry seat covers with a crap load of hair ties around the shifter. My girlfriend made the wise crack of "she has alot of cherries in here.....she must miss hers a lot" and to top it off as soon as I put the key forward my ears are getting blown out but fergilicous ha. Im gonna post pics of this thing and let me know what you think.

Back