• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

smoke jumpers?

Grifter144

NAXJA Forum User
hey was wondering if anyone on here is or knows a professional smoke jumper. i am interested in the trade and was wondering about the process of becoming one, any info would be great...thanks guys...
Maier

Grifter144 said:
hey was wondering if anyone on here is or knows a professional smoke jumper. i am interested in the trade and was wondering about the process of becoming one, any info would be great...thanks guys...
Maier

those guys (and gals) walk funny... must be the "nads" the size of grapefruits.... good luck if you are serious about this, it's one of the toughest thankless jobs out there..

i am currently waiting on my app for our local vol. fire dept. to come through, so hopefully i can get some fire experience /training under the belt while the lil lady goes to school here, before we try to make the jump out west. i have searched alot on the net but all i seem to come across are books about jumpers experiences and no knowledgable links about how to apply or whats required. seems most of them are grizzled veterans that have been doing it for years, i figure i am somewhat good to go, as i am jump qualified from my time in the army rangers, so preperation wise i am hitting the physical conditioning the only way i know how, hard as hell. thanks for the link....
Maier

hey was wondering if anyone on here is or knows a professional smoke jumper. i am interested in the trade and was wondering about the process of becoming one, any info would be greatQUOTE]

In Mexico (la Paz) I ran into some that did that in Alaska & we had a few beers. Said its hard & they don't make a ton of money but they have a lot of time off and don't do much in winter so they go on a long cheap vacation in Mexico and in season have a lot of their expenses paid for. Maybe its one of those "don't call us, we'll call you" jobs.

Last edited:
If I hadnt settled down and all, I always thought about putting my Airborne qual to use as a smokejumper.

We get a lot of them through Flagstaff in the summer, and they are some pretty decent dudes, and even a few "women".

Fergie

rccrawler said:
I was a Smoke Jumper for 7 years. What do you need to know? I know a great Company to work for also.
would everything work....no really, i am seriously interested in this profession, i checked out the link above and that site mentions a letter referrring to some really easy PT test, so basically how do you become one? is there a wait list somewhere that i need to get on? how hard are the actaul physical requirements, Do i need to be a "hotshot" first, etc...? i know its alot but i will take all the info you can provide, if you dont feel like putting it all right out on the net send me an email or pm..me
Thanx a bunch
Karl Maier
[email protected]

It has been a while since I looked at that stuff, but I think one of the basic requirements (other than physical fitness... willingness to jump out of a perfectly fine aircraft, etc..) is to get some wildland firefighting experience. At least a redcard, and probably work up through that. Minumum used to be 1 year experience, but it may be more now. Check your local area and what they offer for wildland firefighting oppurtunities/training.
Glenn
(and no... I do not jump out of any aircraft that is going make a good landing) :D
Grifter144 said:
would everything work....no really, i am seriously interested in this profession, i checked out the link above and that site mentions a letter referrring to some really easy PT test, so basically how do you become one? is there a wait list somewhere that i need to get on? how hard are the actaul physical requirements, Do i need to be a "hotshot" first, etc...? i know its alot but i will take all the info you can provide, if you dont feel like putting it all right out on the net send me an email or pm..me
Thanx a bunch
Karl Maier
[email protected]

glenn, yeah thats sorta what i'm worried about, the only wildland firefighting experience i have is boot stomping out the range fires that we started while out on the range at ft. stewart while i was in, and we started them all the stinkin time...basically big grassfires....
Maier

Well, it is a good time to get started with the real wildland firefighting. :) I am sure you can find someplace to get the Red Card. With the war going on, the National Guard is in short supply to help Western States this summer. Should be lots of contract work available that will keep you busy for the season.... can be decent money too.

Grifter144 said:
glenn, yeah thats sorta what i'm worried about, the only wildland firefighting experience i have is boot stomping out the range fires that we started while out on the range at ft. stewart while i was in, and we started them all the stinkin time...basically big grassfires....
Maier

Back