• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Smog Questions

Locked98GC

NAXJA Forum User
95 Jeep Cherokee 4.0, 4x4, federal standards, automatic, 175K, OBD I. Falls under the STAR program this year.

Catalytic Converter (rattles pretty bad)
Can I just get a federal one?
Why does it require a "professional smog tech" to have one installed?
The (new) guy where I go to get smog tested is anal retentive and will probably ask for the shop that did the repair. First time I've brought a vehicle there and it failed. It's also a Star tests center and does repairs now and not a pass or free retest anymore. ASAP here in Imperial Beach. Time to find another place. (I like Test Only stations, personal preference.)

----CO2---O2---MAX---AVE---MEAS(HC)---MAX---AVE---MEAS(CO)---MAX---AVE---MEAS(NO)
15 14.3----0.9---63-------26 -----53--------------0.46-----0.04---0.21-------------460-----175-----770
25 14.2----0.7---38-------16------31--------------0.56-----0.05---0.13-------------539-----188-----528

Last edited:
How far do you want to drive? I use Paul's Smog in Lakeside off Riverford road. He doesn't really climb all over the car, but he will not pass you if you have glaring problems, or if it fails the sniffer. If it's a 49 state, it can have a fed cat, your problem is going to be getting the cat shipped to CA, the smog station can't beat you up on a 49 state cat on a 49 state vehicle. I'm running a 2.5" in/out magnaflow I think. Works fine, passes smog. About 70 bucks from summit. The "CA" models have been coming down in price but generally they're about 2 times the price as they have a thicker coating of the catalyst material to meet the lifespan requirements that CARB puts on them.

It was sold in Arizona. I don't mind the crawling all over just the no pass no free retest like they were in the past. I do get $30 off from the next one.

You need to verify if its Cali emissions before you try to argue about the cat you want to try. Check the under hood emissions label and see if it says complies with federal standards or Cali standards?

Keep in mind that many CA standards vehicles were sold in other states, so where it came from is not a good indicator of the emissions standards its required to meet.

Back