• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Shift Kit Transgo 340-HD2 Reprogramming Kit

CobraMarty

NAXJA Forum User
Just installed. Besides the kit, needed a valve body gasket and pan gasket.
So far so good, much better, improved shifts. 1st gear hold really works.
Have to drive some more today to get a feel for it. I'll post later a better evaluation.

Like the box says, "For Professional Use Only". Requires drilling a few holes.
ee8bb_340-hd2.jpg

TRANSGO PART: 340-HD2 CLASSIFICATION: REPROGRAMMING KIT FITS: 4 Speed Toyota 340, 341, 343 and Jeep AW4. FEATURES: Street, Strip & Off Road
Increases Clutch Plate durability. Provides short-firm shifts, Perfect for Hot Rods &
Trucks. Trans will stay in low gear with Lever in manual low position.
Installs with trans in vehicle. Special Instructions: Professional installation recommended. Does not require transmission removal.

Just installed. Besides the kit, needed a valve body gasket and pan gasket.
So far so good, much better, improved shifts. 1st gear hold really works.
Have to drive some more today to get a feel for it. I'll post later a better evaluation.

Like the box says, "For Professional Use Only". Requires drilling a few holes.
ee8bb_340-hd2.jpg

TRANSGO PART: 340-HD2 CLASSIFICATION: REPROGRAMMING KIT FITS: 4 Speed Toyota 340, 341, 343 and Jeep AW4. FEATURES: Street, Strip & Off Road
Increases Clutch Plate durability. Provides short-firm shifts, Perfect for Hot Rods &
Trucks. Trans will stay in low gear with Lever in manual low position.
Installs with trans in vehicle. Special Instructions: Professional installation recommended. Does not require transmission removal.

How firm are the shifts? Does it bang/yank a bit?

There are a couple of holes which are drilled and you have the option of 'truck' or 'race car' shifts. I chose the smaller (but larger than stock) truck size. Definitely not bang, yank, 'knock your fillings out' race car shifts. More crisp, non slushy/slow motion shifts. I have to go out and test/eval some more. Light acceleration, hard acceleration, highway, uphill highway, anything else?

OK, went out and tested it more. Shifts nice and direct, clean, crisp. No jerkyness, banging, very comfortable. 1st to 2nd a little more harsh than 2nd to 3rd but I whould not call it a harsh shift at all. 2nd to 3rd shift is quick unlike the stock slow slushy like the clutch is slipping kind of shift. Stays in 1st when shifted to 1-2. Then shifts to 2nd when move to 3 on the shifter. Feels more ?'modern', no 'Cadillac' like shifting.
Overall very satisfied. Can't wait to go to Rausch Creek to test the 1st gear feature.

D, 1-2-3(overdrive lockout),1.

1-2 is now just 1
3 is just like stock
D is just like stock

1-2 is 1st gear ONLY
3 is 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gear (NO overdrive, aka 4th)
D is 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and overdrive (aka 4th)

I'm not quite sure how to tell you. Looking thru the directions I find-

There are 4 different valve bodies

Accumulaors 2,3,4 all get new springs
New lock up bushing,valve and retainer
6 check balls are left out
Separator plate gets some holes drilled bigger 1-2shift,2-3shift,3-4shift
New 1-2 shift valve and ball to keep it in 1st gear
cutback spring replaced on cut back valve
new PR spring onto TV boost

I hope some of this makes sense to you.
So I ask you, does it increase line pressure with these mods? Is that good?

Interesting. Question about the 1-2/1-2-3 shift.
Stock setup: "1-2" shifter position gives 1st gear hold until about 4500RPM, then a shift to second. Manual shift to "3", at anything other then WOT or above about 15 mph, and the trans shifts to 2nd, then almost immediately to 3rd

With the kit: in "1-2", the transmission stays in 1st clear up through redline.
My question: When you manual shift into "3", does the kit change the 2nd to 3rd shift point at all, or does it still shift right into 3rd?

With the kit: in "1-2", the transmission stays in 1st clear up through redline.
My question: When you manual shift into "3", does the kit change the 2nd to 3rd shift point at all, or does it still shift right into 3rd?

When in 1-2 and it stays in 1st until ?5000/redline, and then you shift into 3rd on the shifter , the trans will then shift into 2nd and then 3rd. I didn't notice the shift points rpm.

Perhaps it might be better to think of the markings on the shifter's gear indicator more of an indication of the highest gear the trans is allowed to shift into, not so much as the gear you are in.

So do any of the mods make the line pressure increase?

I don't think so. I'm not sure yet though. I should have a Transgo kit en route and am going to read, understand, and install the Transgo kit into an AW4 valvebody. I'll outline clearly what each component changes and how it affects performance. I'll compare that with other information and probably combine the two. We already overlap. Then I'll post it.

Back