• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Setting up a garage PC .. any suggestions?

Kyle96XJ02KJ

NAXJA Forum User
My dad wants me to put a computer in the garage for him to put some shop manuals on. I have the 00 XJ service manual and parts stuff on CD, but do you guys know of any really good software that would rule on a garage computer? I'm all over the internet but its all like $100 so i'm just wondering if anybody has any good names of the best software i guess =)

We've got hondas here, nissan, and a few dodge/chrysler vehicles.

Thanks for any help :repair:

Is this a professional operation ? or just for the house type. Makes a difference on what I will suggest. I setup alot of the local professional repair places and body shops around here but I do all of them legally.
Feel free to take it off line if you like.

PM'd ya.

It's just for our general use here at home. My dad's used to having his software at work that interfaces with their hardware to monitor the big rigs.

He just tell me "some of the guys at work have pc's in their garage and have software with the repair manuals on it" so that's what i'm working with.

I've searched a bit but there really isn't much on ebay or anywhere except specific make/model CDROMS which maybe will have to do.

Kyle96XJ02KJ said:
PM'd ya.

It's just for our general use here at home. My dad's used to having his software at work that interfaces with their hardware to monitor the big rigs.

He just tell me "some of the guys at work have pc's in their garage and have software with the repair manuals on it" so that's what i'm working with.

I've searched a bit but there really isn't much on ebay or anywhere except specific make/model CDROMS which maybe will have to do.

Make sure it comes with plenty HD room, semi decent speakers and a semi decent sound card. After that, move your mp3 collection to it, as that's what I'm planning to do myself (when I get around to it).

From the technical side:
1. get a normal keyboard (no funky extra buttons) and buy plastic keyboard protection ;)
2. make sure it has a serial port on it as there are programs out there (along with wire connectors) that let you interface with ODBII (and I think also ODBI as well) to read and reset codes.
3. Bigger monitor is a must: reading schematics sometimes gets hard on a small monitor.
4. While LCD's are nice, I don't know if it's practical (cost effective) for a garage machine.

edit: quick search on google returned this as one of the hits. Check it out.

Probably a given, but get a router and go WiFi, 802.11g. No need to run network cable.

A WebCam with some auto upload software would be cool if you have some server space.

I would install a one of the cheaper all in wonder cards. Sound is decent, plus you would have TV if you have a TV cable out there. I would use that for Football season.

I would wire up some old home stereo speakers. As said before that would cool for music or the TV. An old receiver would make that set-up easy. :D

haha yeah .. part of the reason why we're doing this is because we have an extra computer now ( a slower compaq ). It will be on our wireless network though.

We have the OBDII scanner as well.. i think it's the snap-on one it was like 2 hundred and something so i dont think we'll spring for the 300 dollar software, just read the display =)

thanks for the suggestions i was pretty much just looking for the software and told the hard truth that the best software is snap-on's "shopkey" and pretty expensive although ive seen copies on ebay for 250-300 wooo

Back