• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

SEC Jeeper reaching out for a giant Sierra helping hand

Davesxj

NAXJA Forum User
I'm in the area (Truckee/Lake Tahoe) with my 2000 XJ 4x4 Aw4/NP231. I drove out here from Florida about a month ago.

Earlier in the year I put a 3" lift on the rig and then battled with DW and driveline vibes. I couldn't afford to address the DW and required my truck so I just rolled with it. I always kept it under 40 mph to avoid full on DW but I know that it could have caused further destruction to my tracbar & mount, front driveshaft, draglink & tie rod, possibly my uppers and lowers, and whatever else.

I've since replaced the draglink, tierod, steering stabilizer, driver side balljoint, new 31x10.5 at's, an alignment(sorta) and the DW seems to be cured or masked.

Winter is close and I plan on spending the end of the year in the Sierra's before heading south. Needless to say I'd really like to have my 4x4 operable.

As the truck sits it has a strong shimmy at 45-50mph, irregular tire wear, slight vibe at all speeds, and heavy vibe at 50-55 mph. The front DS is pulled due to it being shot and causing vibes. I don't want to destroy another one without addressing my castor angle. I've had 2 shops do an alignment and neither did any good so I resorted to a novice homebrew alignment of some unknown toe-in or toe-out and 1/8" shims on the lowers for an unkown amount of castor. It's been an improvement to what the shops did, but I know it still isn't proper. Easiest thing would probably be take it to an alignment shop for a reading but I'm hesitant to and can't really afford that considering the other expenses I'll have to make.

Lol basically I just need some help, a morale boost. No one around me is a Jeep owner so I might as well be talking to a wall about these things. I only have some road tools and no work space.

In summary. I need a new Front DS. Used or new. Help with a proper alignment. T-Case drop? New tracbar? It would be helpful if some expert could look at these things and help me determine if they'd be necessary.

I know that's a lot of words but typing keeps my from standing outside kicking my Jeep tires.

I would get aftermarket/adjustable lower control arms. once I went over 4" i had the same issue. tried a bunch of bs, issue was fixed after LCAs.

Become a member. Best few dollars I ever spent on my Jeep. That being said there are a few guy's right up by you with the skills to help you resolve your problems. Good luck.

Thanks for the replies.

Membership will be purchased as soon as I get access to a PayPal account. I meant to do it when I first started coming to NAXJA but I reckon I forgot how much better another red handle would be for everyone.

I've got adjustable LCA's on the needs list. I've got to gamble on a used pair considering the price of new ones. Were your old LCA's worn or did it just require more length that could be achieved with shims? LOL I'm probably kidding myself here. With 212,xxx on the ticker, everything is more than likely shot.

I suppose it's bad style to ask for names so I'll just give the thread a bump.

Back