• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Seafood Processors....

XbajajeepX

NAXJA Forum User
I just found this in the new paper and I am wondering if there is anyone on here that has first hand experience with this? How much do you really make? How long are you there for? I am not worried about the hard work or long days. I am young and fit....

General Westward Seafoods, Inc. will be accepting applications for Seafood Processors at the Fairfield Inn and Suites 503 E. Danenburg Dr. El Centro, CA on 4/24/07 at 9am with interviews to follow presentation. Seafood processing requires physical stamina and a positive mental attitude. Transportation from Seattle to Dutch Harbor provided at no cost to employees. Free room and board, safety gear, laundry and housekeeping; health benefits (including medical, dental and vision), 401K plan and new bonus program available when qualified. Selected applicants will be required to pass a drug screen and physical. For further info. call (206)682-5949 Westward Seafoods is an equal opportunity employer.

Is this on a processing ship, or at a land based plant? If on board, you could be at see for months.

don't know how young & fit you are, but you ever watch deadlist catch on discovery channel. they have clips from dutch harbor plant, from what i saw alot of laber intence. plant itsef was pretty automated, but that was for crab. looked like alot loading and unloading, my >02 cents

No personal experience (I am not crazy), but where I used to live, quite a few of the people did the industry up there. If you are into lack of sleep, hard labor, not bitching about shit, just do what you are told, don't mind maybe missing a digit or two, you can make a years worth of wages in a few months in the season. I had a cousin do the season out on a crab boat, he made out well. Was able to move where he wanted and start a life for himself after one season.

XbajajeepX said:
I just found this in the new paper and I am wondering if there is anyone on here that has first hand experience with this? How much do you really make? How long are you there for? I am not worried about the hard work or long days. I am young and fit....

General Westward Seafoods, Inc. will be accepting applications for Seafood Processors at the Fairfield Inn and Suites 503 E. Danenburg Dr. El Centro, CA on 4/24/07 at 9am with interviews to follow presentation. Seafood processing requires physical stamina and a positive mental attitude. Transportation from Seattle to Dutch Harbor provided at no cost to employees. Free room and board, safety gear, laundry and housekeeping; health benefits (including medical, dental and vision), 401K plan and new bonus program available when qualified. Selected applicants will be required to pass a drug screen and physical. For further info. call (206)682-5949 Westward Seafoods is an equal opportunity employer.

Dirty jobs had an episode with processing seafood. They showed clams or oysters, fish, and octupus getting processed. It didn't look like fun.

"For hours worked, Processing Employees make $7.15 per regular hour and $10.72 per overtime hour. Currently, Westward also provides housing and meals at no charge to Westward Employees, so there is no need to spend money on anything except personal items."
http://www.westwardseafoods.com/

If you will be working on the plant floor, or in the shipboard processing plant, do you have a second language? Spanish, Vietnamese, something like that? It might help.

Back