• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rust prevention behind rear wheels?

BALTANAKT

NAXJA Forum User
Sad to find that rust has formed behind the rear wheel on the pass. side... Man, what a bummer.

My guess is sand/dirt have gotten up behind the sheet metal, soaked up water, and here we are...

Was curious if anyone is familiar with this spot, and whether there are any tricks for prevention on the other side?

Guess you are talking about the lower part of the rear quarter panel.
For starters, don't know when they started, Jeep put these air filled bags back there.
Like ones used for packaging.
So remove the interior plastic back there and if they are there take them out.
Chances are they are deflated.
Once in there depending on what you find would determine what you have to do.
Mine were in good shape so I just cleaned out any crap and sprayed some Fluid Film in there.

On my '98 it is bad too. And my 2000. It seems its always the rear right. I think mainly, it the side near the side of the road. The '98 had hand Fulls of silt in it. I'll be doing a comp cut on the 2000.
A few things I'm looking at are POR15. I have used it elsewhere. Agriguard, has good reviews. Eastwood has an undercoating that is suppose to work. I think Linex has something too. Also, there should be a drain cap. I think I took it out, then sprayed water in there. Might heat it up to dry off the water. Then coat it with something. A hair drier would probably work.

Back