• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rockin' XJ Jamboree, Nov 22-23, trail runs

Goatman

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
So what trails would everyone like to run?

Please post up your preference, or just hard, moderate, or easy if you're not familiar with the trails. I think we can work out a basic trail plan here in this thread. Also, post up if you want to run something and you're willing to be trail leader. We especially need someone to lead the easy run.

We need to line up for trails by 8:00 am on Sat, and leave by 8:30.

Also, post up what you want to do on Sunday.......if you don't win one of the four rock buggy trail run spots. Trails for Sunday will depend on what folks want to run, so speak up when you're out there and hook up with others who want to run something.

I'd like to run Hwy 19 and/or 20

Did the Victor Valley 4 wheelers finish their new trail in the same area as aftershock yet?

Just to let people know the "EASY" run may not necessarily involve a rock crawling trail.

No, Richard, I haven't volunteered.

Correct, easy means "easy". A nice sightseeing run with a few minor challenges.

Easy/Moderate is what I'd like.

Same here, an easy to moderate run on Sat to make sure my new suspension isn't gonna fall off, then as challenging a run as could be reasonably expected of a rig on 33s with one locker on Sun.

Easy/Moderate is what I'd like.

Easy there's plenty of. Moderate... not so much. In fact... none.

Johnson Valley is not newbie friendly. It's a vast bomb crater filled wasteland dotted with a small rock mountains. There's nothing really scenic other than Big Rock and the sand dunes. The trails in the mountains that encompass the Hammers start at "ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME?" and get tougher from there.

As a newbie, if you attempt one of the hammer trails, expect body damage and possible carnage. Bring spare parts... u-joints, axles, drive shafts and know how to swap them on an off camber trail... in the rain... at night.

You think I'm kidding? Ask Ray Pili.

I'll say it again. Johnson Valley is no place for newbies.

I'll say it again. Johnson Valley is no place for newbies.

I disagree, as long as there is good trail leadership, I think JV is perfectly newbie friendly. I grew up wheeling that kind of terrain, you just have to know what your limits are and not be tempted to drive somewhere you shouldn't (or have a good trail leader, which in an event is preferable ;) ).

Some of the past failings in other events has been because the event leadership didn't really take newbies into mind. Their idea of newbie runs was "alright boys, go play" taking no consideration into the fact that most newbies like to have set runs with other experienced folk ('cause, you know, they're new ;) ). I've never heard people complain about the Rockin' XJ Jamboree not being friendly to newbies. Yes in 2006 there was some severe damage on the newbie run, but that wasn't because of the trail, it was simply driver error and can happen anywhere.

I'm not sure how many named trails there are that are stocker friendly, but I know there are plenty of little areas behind the hills to play around in, some of which are near the harder trails (for watching).

Also running across Emmerson (?) dry lake is always fun and a lot less dangerous than Means ;)

Hmm. I think I'll take a nice walk through Central park, and then find a quiet pub to get tore up in.

Wish I were going. You guys suck.

I've already discussed this option with Goatman, and he said it's fine with him.

If there are any people who don't want to run a JV trail, I'd be willing to lead a Big Bear run. Maybe run Deep Creek or Gold Mountain/John Bull. Then head over the hill to JV to watch the big boys play. And stick around for the dinner and raffle.

If anyone is interested, hit me up and I'll start a new thread. If not, I have a bone to pick with Clawhammer. :D

Easy there's plenty of. Moderate... not so much. In fact... none.

I disagree

Gonna have to agree with GSeq here. I disagree with you Andy. I've been trying to convince Cal of it too. There are trails for everyone there. It just takes the right leadership/people to accommodate everyone. I've been trying to convince him of it because I NEED people like him for it to work.

And to prove it. I'm working on the SoCalXJ Jambo on having up to 5 levels of runs, with the hardest run being Clawhammer.

In the distant past, it hasn't been done very well (not pointing fingers at Rockin Jambo event, in fact, it's happened MORE with the SoCalXJ event at JV), and I think that's where it gets a bad rep. The easy run was pretty much for stockers and slightly modified (3" and under being slightly modified), and then the moderate trail which is clawhammer. Which is HARDLY considered a moderate trail for people who have never been to JV and think John Bull in Big Bear is hard. Claw can be a tough trail and at least 1 locker should be had on it, two suggested.

I know people will say "Oh you could do it with a 3" lift and no lockers" but yes, YOU COULD do it, but it doesn't mean SOMEONE ELSE SHOULD do it, or ANYONE for that matter. Most of those people I talk to say you could do it, haven't driven a rig with less then 35" tires and lockers front and rear in YEARS. And they'll even make a case for it and say something like "I'll go and show you right now" but that's coming from THEIR experience level. Someone with a 3" lift and no lockers isn't going to have the experience you have. They'll even say "Oh I could spot them through it" yeah you could spot and stack them through it, but in a big event with a lot of people on the run, I don't think it's appropriate.

Last edited:
We can make the easy run totally scenic, but yet interesting, or we can make it challenging for a stock rig and fun but little chance of damage. And I have to say I love the scenery out there, especially looking from a ridge top across range after range of desert ridges with the various colors and terain inbetween.

Tackhammer is a moderate trail, and can easily be done with one locker. Lower Big Johnson is also moderate and can be done with a rear locker but you'll have to work at it, which shouldn't be a problem. Clawhammer is a moderate trail for well built rigs and a hard trail for moderately built rigs, and should only be run with two lockers. Aftershock is mostly moderate but it has a couple of hard spots. The other named trails are various degrees of hard, depending on the rig and driver.

Everyone can have a good time. If you have a totally stock rig, you can run the easy run or you can go watch one of the harder runs, either would be a good time.

Post up what you'd like to run. :)

We can make the easy run totally scenic, but yet interesting, or we can make it challenging for a stock rig and fun but little chance of damage. And I have to say I love the scenery out there, especially looking from a ridge top across range after range of desert ridges with the various colors and terain inbetween.

I love the desert. The Mojave Road is my favorite trail and I want to run around Death Valley so bad I can taste it, but some deserts are devoid of worthwhile scenery. Most of Nevada, save for Valley of Fire falls into the forgettable category. Johnson Valley is also high on the lack of any worthwhile scenery meter, in my opinion. Sure, you can design a scenic run, but this:
IMG_1114.jpg

and this:
100_1069.jpg

... are pretty much the highlights.

Tackhammer is a moderate trail, and can easily be done with one locker. Lower Big Johnson is also moderate and can be done with a rear locker but you'll have to work at it, which shouldn't be a problem. Clawhammer is a moderate trail for well built rigs and a hard trail for moderately built rigs, and should only be run with two lockers. Aftershock is mostly moderate but it has a couple of hard spots. The other named trails are various degrees of hard, depending on the rig and driver.
True, but I wasn't directing my comments to drivers of buggies or moderately well modified XJs. I simply said that Johnson Valley was no place for newbies. Is there even one NAMED trail that can be run in a stock XJ without a TAD with only rock rails and tow points?

Everyone can have a good time. If you have a totally stock rig, you can run the easy run or you can go watch one of the harder runs, either would be a good time.
I spent a weekend two years ago GPSing a trail that ran around the hammers. Photos here. (First three pages of photos are from the easy run.) I made a concerted effort to make certain that newbies who came out to the event had a planned trail with as much of a challenge as possible. There wasn't much. Ask Mark. He was the newbie on that run.

Richard... I'm not trying put a damper on Goatfest. I think it's a great event and I wish I had a more laisse faire attitude toward body damage and carnage, but I don't. I think The Hammers offers an unparalleled challenge for an experienced driver in a well modified rig, but I think you may be misleading newbies with comments like: "Tackhammer is a moderate trail" and "We can make the easy run challenging for a stock rig."

Please don't lure newbies out to Johnson Valley and promise them challenging and varied trails to do in their stock rigs. There are far better places for newbies to learn and play. If you tell newbies to come out just to watch or just to ride along that's fine, but promising a safe challenging run is just wrong.

Just my opinion. YMMV.

Have a great time.

:rolleyes:

i thought Richard layed it out pretty well... i dont think anyone is planning on coming up in a stock rig and running any-hammer. he says at least one locker is required for the "moderate" trails, that should keep stockers off anything but the scenic run. i dont see any misleading going on here. hell if there are people that dont feel like going out on the runs i will be more than glad to provide comic relief back at camp. im just going up there to hang out with my friends that i dont get to see often enough, i will most likely spend most of the weekend in camp consuming copious amounts of alchohol since i wont be bringing a wheeling worthy rig.

anyone who has the time free should come out. if nothing else, to watch the big boys play. its amazing what some of these rigs can do on the rocks :cheers:

i'll be there, in a 2wd manche. you aren't scaring me away andy, no matter how hard you try :D

Hey is santa coming to this event this year??

X2, I agree with Grimm, no misleading going on here. I think the stockers are smart enough to stick together and not go try to run with the buggies on 37s. (or whatever)

Back to the subject, I am with Mikedashg, I would like to do Clawhammer on Fri and Aftershock on Sat... if the Heep stays togehter.

Is there even one NAMED trail that can be run in a stock XJ without a TAD with only rock rails and tow points?

Yeah, I call it the JV loop. It circles the JV area like you said. You took us on some of it below. Ask Mark about that day in his stock rig. He ran it in his stock cherokee fine, and IIRC, there were spots that were challenging for him being new and stock, but he got through it and was eager to modify to get through it next time with ease. Which he did at the next JV event, and said it was easy and has since stepped up to harder trails.

Same with Carol when she ran her stock rig following Norm Taylor a year later on the easy run a couple years ago through a similar loop. There are some small ledges that they did, that were challenging. It took them all day to run it so I heard. Mark (after no longer being a complete newb/stock) and I ran it that weekend in a fraction of the time of course. It's not a named trail, but it's by aftershock. Going up that spot is a challenge and required stacking for the stockers. I even needed to take two shots at it with 1 locker. You could make that place easier by just going down it instead if the run is completely full with stockers.

I spent a weekend two years ago GPSing a trail that ran around the hammers. Photos here. (First three pages of photos are from the easy run.) I made a concerted effort to make certain that newbies who came out to the event had a planned trail with as much of a challenge as possible. There wasn't much. Ask Mark. He was the newbie on that run.

That was a good run! Thanks for leading it. Again, ask Mark about that run. He dented his rocker panel. There were some challenging parts. Even for a stocker. And it's funny, most of the guys on that run were NOT stockers, and many of them were not newbies. Myself included. And there was at least two spots where I saw modified newbies take a couple tries at some of the climbs. Like this spot gave some people trouble: http://s2.photobucket.com/albums/y3...mboree 2006/?action=view&current=100_0933.jpg and me on it, no trouble of course, hehe: http://s2.photobucket.com/albums/y3...mboree 2006/?action=view&current=100_0924.jpg it doesn't look like much but it was very loose and had some smaller rocks in it.

The guys who were not new/stock could've run through tackhammer after that run. And that's one of my plans for SoCalXJ Jambo. Run a similar type loop, then anyone who wants to play and/or watch on something a bit harder, run tack. It's an extremely short trail, and is almost a play area. I would take some open/open newbies who are slightly modified through there after an easy run.

Richard... I'm not trying put a damper on Goatfest. I think it's a great event and I wish I had a more laisse faire attitude toward body damage and carnage, but I don't. I think The Hammers offers an unparalleled challenge for an experienced driver in a well modified rig, but I think you may be misleading newbies with comments like: "Tackhammer is a moderate trail" and "We can make the easy run challenging for a stock rig."

I think tack is a great easy/moderate trail. The trouble is, it's very short. So you either have to end with it for the newbies who want to step it up a little bit. Or start with it to test the waters for the slightly experienced/modified. I followed Ron on a Tack/LBJ run for an easy/moderate trail, and it was a great combo. We warned up on tack, and stepped up to LBJ. Cal and I led the same run at the last Goatfest the next year. We had some newbies who were slightly modified, and everyone had a good time.

Please don't lure newbies out to Johnson Valley and promise them challenging and varied trails to do in their stock rigs.

Again, there are some challenging spots you can take newbies through. You did, pretty sure it was challenging for them. Again, ask Mark and Carol. As far as "varied trails" no, it's pretty much what you did and similar spots. So there's not much else they can do, I agree with ya there.

Back