• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Review on my exhaust experience

WheelinJR

NAXJA Forum User
This is gonna get a little long...sorry.

Okay, final verdict on Sunnyside Automotive is just stay away.

Originally, I went in and asked for 2.5" from header-back, with a new cat, and a flowmaster 40. They had knockoff FM40's as flowmaster lost their patent I guess, so they said they'd use that and charge me $300 for the whole job.

They did a new 2.5" cat, a flowmaster 40 with a 2.5in/2.25out and 2.25" tailpipe, and nothing from the header. They're excuse was that they couldn't go from the header because it was only 2" and that their was an o2 sensor in that pipe. Not sure why they didn't think they couldn't flare it right after the header and weld in an o2 bung, but whatever. They also said they did the 2.25" tailpipe because the 2.5" was too hard to bend into place. He then charged me $250 because they didn't do the downpipe.

Now, regardless of arguing gains of power and blah blah blah, let's not go there, it is what I asked for. If they couldn't do it, it is my thinking that they should've called me before doing anything. I was obviously not some random soccer mom that was bringing in her Tahoe for repairs, and that I was pretty particular on what I wanted. If they couldn't have done it they could have told me what they could do and I could have said yes or no.

So I got the Jeep back, and immediately knew I was unhappy with it. The 2.25" pipe was very "hissy" under load, sounded like crap. Also, they put some chrome tip on it that looked real south of the border. To top it off, they had aimed the tailpipe just upward enough so that it pointed up at my bumper and was covering it in black soot.

So I emailed the guy, and he said they could re-do it. After about 4 emails back and forth, each time asking how much he was going to charge me to do the 2.5" tailpipe and change the muffler to a 2.5in/2.5out, and each time going unanswered, I finally got the answer that he wouldn't charge me and got a time set up.

Now, I dropped the Jeep off, and called him later in the day to make sure it was done. He told me that they couldn't route the tailpipe straight out, and they had to go over the leaf and out the side, which I was ok with. I picked it up on friday.

Now this is the part that makes me never want to go back there. Every time I talked to him, both by email and on the phone, I clearly said that I wanted the muffler replaced and the tailpipe redone.

Sure enough, I got it home, inspected it and not too much to my surprise, they stuck the 2.5" pipe right up to the 2.25" outlet and welded it on. Didn't change the muffler at all. Go figure.

The shop is called Sunnyside Automotive in Clackamas...and I don't recommend it.

Ouch:doh:

I dread going to exhaust shops for that exact reason. It's not like we're asking them to perform magic or anything. Just to use their tools and the right size pipe the way we ask them to! hasta

It's one of the few things I can't do myself, and it bugs the hell out of me whenever my jeep is subject to someone else's "that's good enough" philosophy.

sounds like ther is alot of exhaust shops out there that do that kind of lame half ass crapy work. sorry you didnt get what ya wanted, that really sucks. i have heard of guys going to other exhaust shops to get a quote on fixing what the first guy f'ed up and have gotten it done right pretty cheap just because they want to get your business and they feel bad for ya at the same time!!! i used to work at a exhaust/lube shop and the guy that did exhaust sucked, some of my buddys didnt get what they wanted so they took it to the next town over and got it done better and cheaper by a competitor.

your quite a distance from me BUT I have had nothing but AWESOME luck with my local shop in Everett. Pro Muffler & Brake down by the Everett Events Center has never done me wrong. Steve has done several rigs for me over the years & he is very fair pricing wise. He did the exact same on my rig with high flow cat & 40 series Flow Master quite a bit less. He kept the exhaust nice & high. I recommend them every chance I get BUT that is just me.

dude. thay have no idea what thay are doing. you can run 2.5 from header to tail easaly. other than the RR shackle being sort of in the way. other than that there is only 1/8" difference in the radius in that pipe. not that much harder to bend imo. i wouldnt have paid for a dag gum thing. i do construction and both parties must aggree to the "change order" if issues or stupidity arises. say you were one of our customers and we did something compleitly different from the original contract, you would have the leagality to not pay a dime untill resolved.

dude if i had a welder and a bender i would do it what every way you needed. it couldnt be that hard. i build custom exhaust for my models all the time (though i havent done one in a wile) anyway hope you get it all sorted out.

Back