• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Replacement distributor for a 97 xj

97jeepxj1

NAXJA Forum User
So i have found the squeak that has been driving me bat **** crazy for the last week. Its my distributor. Pulled the cap and rotor shot a little oil on top of the bearing and squeak is gone but I am guessing it is going to need to be replaced. Seeings now I am strapped for cash and I work at the zone I was thinking of grabbing one of the duralast gold units to replace it but wanted to see if anyone has had bad luck with them or if they know of another unit with better results for the same price. My store discount isn't great be about 50 bucks. Or since I have a new accel cap and rotor on it now I could grab the cardone one that we sell but it only has a 1 year warranty and is a reman the gold is a new one.

A search will tell you about the brands.

The major caveat I've seen is that some list the same part number for 4 cyl and 6 cyl, but the drive gear is different between the two. They "look" identical at first glance and have the same number of teeth, but one is offset half a tooth and one is not. So if it doesn't seem to go back in correctly, or seems off "half a tooth" that's why. In that case get another distributor, or use your existing drive gear, if possible.

There are no bearings in the distributor. Just bushings.

Went with the gold Duralast. Did the by the book "correct" way of installing it since I had a buddy over that was wanting to learn. Fired right up and seems to have better throttle response now.

Back