• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Related gauge problems?

MI_2000_XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I am having three electrical type problems that I am wondering if they are related:

1. My coolant temperature gauge is intermittent; I can watch it go from my normal operating temperature to pretty much cold, fluctuating often while I am driving.

2. My part time four wheel drive indicator light stopped working. The 4WD system is functional.

3. My turn signals flash most of the time, but sometimes stick. This has been happening for a few months now, while the other 2 are relatively new (past couple weeks).

Any correlation between them in anybody's opinion? I have read about the connector issue on the instrument panel, but I don't know if that's my problem. Thanks in advance, and sorry if this has been answered elsewhere.

Always include in your postings the year of your Cherokee, the engine size, the transfer case type and the transmission type. Correct answers do vary by model year and installed options.

None of these issues relate to the instrument panel problems.

1- Check the coolant temp sensor wire harness and plug at the thermostat housing for corrosion or damage. Next, I would suspect the thermostat and look at that before looking at the actual gauge.

2- The 4x4 indicator lamp may be burned out, or the indicator lamp switch on the transfer case may have failed. You can test the 4x4 lamp using a paper clip to jump the terminals at the indicator switch on the Transfer case (located on the drivers side on the front 1/2 of the case).

3- A new turn signal flasher is about $10 (it may just be loose) and it is located at your left knee behind the panels. It is next to the Emergency flasher so turn the E flashers on and look/listen.

Back