• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Recommendation for a shop in NOLA

splitz

NAXJA Forum User
I am transferring to Marine Forces Reserve, and I am contemplating bringing my busted up XJ. It needs a lot of TLC, but the one thing beyond my capabilities is replacing the transmission (I tried and ended up stripping one of the inverted torx bolts).

Anyway, if I bring it down there, then dropping off the Jeep at a shop to get work done is priority #1. Any recommendations for a shop that won't kill me on the swap?

To get from Northern VA to New Orleans you have to travel through Knoxville and Chattanooga. Lots of NAXJA members in those two cities that I bet would give you a hand to do it in a driveway one day en route - or go a couple hours out of your way and arrange a wrenchfest in the Nashville area.

Way too many NAXJA members with way too much knowledge and experience to not consider that route before paying someone to do it.

Or if you want to pay a shop to do it and do it right, check with Rock Solid Off Road Fab in Chattanooga. Tyler does great work.

Cottontail - I love the idea, and I would love to stop over somewhere and have a wrenchfest. I'm just not sure how keen someone would be in helping out a jeeper just passing through.

Cottontail - I love the idea, and I would love to stop over somewhere and have a wrenchfest. I'm just not sure how keen someone would be in helping out a jeeper just passing through.

Happens all the time. How do you think half of us make it off the trails:NAXJA:

If you happen to come near Huntsville, AL.....I would be more than happy to help you out. Hell, we could go to Redstone Arsenal and put that sucker on a lift at the auto shop and get it done quick like.

Anything for a comrade-in-arms who is also an XJ man!

@highspeed - Ha! True, I have done some trail repairs for people I didn't know. Huntsville is not that big of a detour. There are some logistics we'd have to work out and I'd need to find an AW4 in the area. Hmm....

Back