• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

People don't know how to drive.

88manche

NAXJA Forum User
I was comin back from the foster u pull it today, and I was in the 93 F250 diesel. I was turning onto woodstock from 42nd. Traffic was coming so there went first, second, and part of third gear. I was pullin right in between 25 and 30.

I was almost to the end of the block when a green honda accord comes flying out of nowhere. Now, if it were wet like it were earlier, I would have hit him. But I came about six inches from missing his drivers side quarter panel. I hit the skids and swerved out of the way just in time. The idiot actually hit the brakes when he was in front of me, then realized i was too close and floored it.

I can't help but crack up at the look on his face when a 6200 lbs truck is careening towards him. It scared me (dad's truck), and I can't believe what was going through him. I think he may have needed a new seat.

Sounds like on my way home from the meet and greet I was in the right lane going the speed limit past a group of cars that were waiting at a light that just turned green, well just up ahead it merges...some dumbarse desided he didn't like how I get to drive past him so he pulled out in front of me going like 10mph! I was going 43mph...so I had to slam on the brakes...almost raped his car (plus he turned into my lane in the intersection, A.K.A. Illegally). So then I get in the left lane to avoid hitting him and he cuts me off! What a jerk. Gave the cops his lisence plate...hopefully he'll get a nice letter in the mail at the least.

~Scott

I was going 43mph

...hopefully he'll get a nice letter in the mail at the least.

~Scott

Thats quite the exact number there :D

And sorry to say, but the cops cant just send someone a ticket when they get a call about this person doing that. If they take the lisence plate number from you its just to make you happy and feel like something will happen.

-Lyle

Some XJ's had a special gauge cluster that has a marking for 43 MPH.:shhh:
Haha.

I actually saw in a parking lot, a sign and paint on the ground that said "SPEED 13 MPH"

Some XJ's had a special gauge cluster that has a marking for 43 MPH.:shhh:
Haha.

I actually saw in a parking lot, a sign and paint on the ground that said "SPEED 13 MPH"

We have signs like that around here - they're class projects by CE students, and the state keeps them up. We have one turn around here somewhere that is marked with a yellow speed sign saying something like "23.5MPH."

As far as the original topic - why for does this surprise you? You should ride around down here with me for a few days, and you'll see why I'm thinking of going whole hawg and finding an M113 Gavin on the surplus market. Drop in a pair of Cummins 5.9L turbo Diesels, put road tyres on it, and start weeding out the garden...

Thats quite the exact number there :D

And sorry to say, but the cops cant just send someone a ticket when they get a call about this person doing that. If they take the lisence plate number from you its just to make you happy and feel like something will happen.

-Lyle

Wrong...they do send letters in the mail to drivers who were reported (I said they'll hopefully send a letter, not a ticket)...my sister got one once (not the one you met today). And yes...it's an exact number because I've learned from past experience to check my speed when things happen...my van (the vehicle I was driving) happens to be extremely obvious to your exact speed (bigggg speedo).

~Scott

Yep - a letter can be sent referring to a "citizen complaint", I've had a few sent myself.

However, the only time a cop can actually cite or arrest (AFAIK) without having actually witnessed the act himself is in the event of a felony. Misdemeanours and infractions can't be cited "by remote control".

Granted, I could be wrong - but that's what I'd learned from a few cop buddies, and my wife (who had been to the Academy - although that was back around 1975...)

Yep - a letter can be sent referring to a "citizen complaint", I've had a few sent myself.

However, the only time a cop can actually cite or arrest (AFAIK) without having actually witnessed the act himself is in the event of a felony. Misdemeanours and infractions can't be cited "by remote control".

Granted, I could be wrong - but that's what I'd learned from a few cop buddies, and my wife (who had been to the Academy - although that was back around 1975...)

99% sure your right about the felony stuff, which I agree makes sence. Lyle just forgot the part about my sister being in the car with me, and how she recieved a degree in law enforcement this last year. :shhh:

~Scott

I got cut off 3 times tonight by some asshole cockgobblers on 405. Ive personally dont give a shit if they end up side swiping me. My car is a peice of shit, Ill just get the insurance money for it and find something else.

...a yellow speed sign saying something like "23.5MPH."
Thats a sign I'd like to have in my garage, right next to the "Maniac Mechanic" and "bad sh!t will happen if you park here."

M113 Gavin on the surplus market. Drop in a pair of Cummins 5.9L turbo Diesels, put road tyres on it, and start weeding out the garden...

Hmmmmm... sounds like a plan, I can get some Mercades Diesels or a big International engine, Or how bout a 10 Liter cummins L10?

Thats a sign I'd like to have in my garage, right next to the "Maniac Mechanic" and "bad sh!t will happen if you park here."

Hmmmmm... sounds like a plan, I can get some Mercades Diesels or a big International engine, Or how bout a 10 Liter cummins L10?

Nothing that huge - the 359ci Cummins I6 should be enough (besides, if I wanted to go huge, why not get a Detroit Diesel locomotive engine? There's enough room in the Gavin that I'd make it into a rolling workshop anyhow - which would make short work of getting around San Francisco when I need to...) Two of them - one to drive each side. Should give me enough hauling capacity to pull a double out of a ditch, no?:roflmao:

that would be enough to pull an aussie road train up the side of kilamanjaro. wich reminds me. never climb a mountain that starts with kil-a-man. i dont even know if i spelled that right.

that would be enough to pull an aussie road train up the side of kilamanjaro. wich reminds me. never climb a mountain that starts with kil-a-man. i dont even know if i spelled that right.

I think you mean "Kilimanjaro" - IIRC, it's somewhere in the northern half of Africa. I'm not much for mountaineering - spelunking is more my speed.

And I know the L10 is an inline six (most Cummins engines are inlines) - but that's still way too much, even split. Hell, I might find that a pair of 5.9L TDs are too much - perhaps a pair of 4BTs?

I guess. Its kinda that "too much of a good thing" thing again, eh?

Yeah. "If two pounds of C4 will do the job, use four."

Or in the gun world, that's probably why we have the .50AE, .500S&W Magnum, .50 Beowulf, .460 SOCOM, ... (and some of those are damned fun to shoot!)

But, you do hit a point of diminishing returns, and with fuel costs the way they are, you can hit that rather quickly. Unless you, say, retune a 4BT to run on Greasel, and set yourself up with the local greasy spoons for fuel...

Back