• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

No AW4 Adapters?

bottleworks

NAXJA Forum User
I am starting to research my potential diesel swap and I would like to retain the AW4 trans. So far, it seems that no one makes any bell-housing adapters for it. It seems all adapter makers are convinced that because a big, mean, scary computer controls it, that the trans should be avoided.

Does anyone know of any adapter for the AW4 to any non stock engine?

depends on what diesel swap your looking for, having been thinking bout 3.9 cummings for the cj myself. not sure if the aw4 is up to extra torque of diesel or the lower rpms the would operate.

Some Dakotas and Toyotas used the AW4, so there are bellhousings to go to the GM 60* pattern. As I recall the Dakota bellhousing will bolt up to the XJ 2.5l. The input shaft stickout varying a little between vehicles too. Somewhere I have a dump of exchange info. If I can track it down I'll post it here.

bottleworks said:
I am starting to research my potential diesel swap and I would like to retain the AW4 trans. So far, it seems that no one makes any bell-housing adapters for it. It seems all adapter makers are convinced that because a big, mean, scary computer controls it, that the trans should be avoided.

Does anyone know of any adapter for the AW4 to any non stock engine?

what diesel are you looking into ? Doesnt seem worth the hassle or cost to adapt a AW4 if for example you can just bolt up a 700r4/4l60e

silent_bob_662001 said:
depends on what diesel swap your looking for, having been thinking bout 3.9 cummings for the cj myself. not sure if the aw4 is up to extra torque of diesel or the lower rpms the would operate.

the th350/th400/700r4/4l60e all bolt up. Why not use a 700r4 or the 4l60E ?

Back