• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

No 3 cylinder misfire

Tryfan

NAXJA Forum User
2001 XJ, AW4, I6, AC

I seem to be having a classic hot soak problem (rough running after re-starting the Jeep after a short stop at a store etc) although it's not been that hot out except for one or two days and now have a CEL P0303 no 3 cylinder misfire. I have had hot soak issues occasionally before but recently this has become very persistent and now I am throwing the P0303 code frequently. I have to sit with the hood up now for about 10 minutes before I can get her running. Once the jeep starts it drives fine but the idle is slightly erratic.

I was thinking of replacing the no 3 injector probably original 150000 miles but for now until I am sure this is the cause I only wanted to replace the no 3 injector rather than all 6. Do you think this would cause any further issues just replacing no 3 will it put the other 5 injectors out of balance?

I have NGKs spark plugs with about 16,000 miles on them and I would think they should be ok at that mileage but I haven't pulled no 3 yet. I wouldn't have thought the coil pack would be a problem because I would expect a misfire on one of the other cylinders (3 coil packs, 6 cylinders). Any advice you could give would be greatly appreciated as this is driving me nuts, I also have to drive about 800 miles next week and would like to resolve this before that trip. Thanks.

You really need to diagnose the issue. The last years of Jeeps had problems with valves not turning and cartooning up causing low compression & misfiring. There is a TSB on it. It could be an injector, plug, or coil as well. I would pull the plugs, inspect, and do a compression check first. I would not rush out and buy parts, though you may want to swap injectors between cylinders to see if the problem moves.

I would swap the @ and #3 spark plugs and inspect them to see if #3 is running lean or rich using the visual spark plug photo inspection guides.

Then swap injectors #3 and #4. Then see if the problem moves to #2 or #4 cylinders. If it stays at #3, you have eliminated the injector and plug.

You also need to run a fuel pressure test right away. The fuel pump FPR in the tank or outlet hose may be leaking/failing and the pressure may not be high enough.

Check the coolant and oil as that year head is know for factory defect cracks forming around 100,000 miles.

Back