• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Newbie trails

redneck122

NAXJA Forum User
Howdy y'all

My name is Nick, and i'm a proud new owner of a 98 XJ. Green, 4 door, 4.0, manual, 8.25 and only 96k miles. I've only had it for a few days, but i'm already in love.

Anyway, i was looking for some advice on real easy trails for a stock XJ. Preferably something up North. Me and my bud were hopin to take it out this weekend. If anyone has any recommendations, they would be much appreciated. Thanks!

When I had my stock 99 I took it on Left Hand, Pole Hill, Bunce, Johhny Park Road, Caribou 4x4 trail, Saint Mary's Glacier (something like that) and a few other. Best thing to do is go get the Guide to Colorado Backroads and 4Wheel Drive Trails by Chrles A. Wells. He has 2 out, 1 for Northern and 1 that just Colorado. Those books will really help you find trails to run. You can also check out TrailDamage for more info on trails.

Best advice I can give you is... Do not go alone. Two rigs are better than one because stuff happens and help van make the difference.

And I echo the "Welcome to the Insanity". Frank's recommendation is a sound one as the trails are not only rated but there are photos to give you an idea of what to expect.

Thanks alot guys! I'll be sure to pick up those guides. I'm headed out tomorrow with my buddy in his tacoma, can't remember the name of the trail, but i'll post up some pics and info when i get back.

Back