• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

needing advice/opinions/numbers

in4aride

NAXJA Forum User
ok so i am going to be replacing the stuff on the jeep with wha ti am hoping to be the right stuff...but definitely better than this crappy block/spacer crap.

sooooooo to you experienced guys. (rokken yella skully frankz etc)and anyone else with good knowledge.....

i am going to get the full 6.5 lift set...coils and springs...and upgrading a few other parts....need to kow if this setup would be worthwhile(money wise and reliability wise)

6.5" coils http://rustysoffroad.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=RC-CS808-XJ&Category_Code=COILS

6.5 leafs http://rustysoffroad.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=RC-LS650-XJ&Category_Code=LEAF

pitman arm http://rustysoffroad.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=rustys&Product_Code=RS-DPA1

tie rod for sure! http://rustysoffroad.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=rustys&Product_Code=RS-TR125-UV
also drag link and adjust. trac bar

and then was thinkin about going with some adjustable lower control arms....i feel like i flex well enough for now and want to keep it that way...gettin off stock LCA's is a must i have a super stiff front end(every bump hurts a lil...) but dont think i need the 800 bones worth of a Long arm set up...

just curious if anyone knows how well the rusty's stuff is and/or how well it works...i do drive my jeep daily but a lot of my driving is beating it on some sort of trail......

also seeing what a good price to get rid of my 3.5 coils/leafs with spacers and stuff for?...help?!...newb is super lost lol

Just say no to Rusty's for lift components. That is all.

DO NOT sell those lift blocks - shit can 'em. Don't be that guy spreading bad parts around. The coil spacers are just fine to sell.

If you wanna go to 6" or more, you NEED to either do the RE drop brackets with braces or a long arm kit. Dropping the geometry of your suspension that much and using the original control arm mounting locations is a tragedy waiting to happen. Essentially, you're jamming all the lift and down travel of the suspension just to achieve a static lift height. You're severely limiting down travel when you want flex. The front axle will be moving way backward and the control arm angle can become close to verticle where it's taking the load of the suspension rather than the coil spring. Ya dig? Plus, you'll really hate the ride quality.

Go snag those RE drops that Off Road Ltd has for $100. http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=973151 .......You'll thank me later.

DO NOT sell those lift blocks - shit can 'em. Don't be that guy spreading bad parts around. The coil spacers are just fine to sell.

If you wanna go to 6" or more, you NEED to either do the RE drop brackets with braces or a long arm kit. Dropping the geometry of your suspension that much and using the original control arm mounting locations is a tragedy waiting to happen. Essentially, you're jamming all the lift and down travel of the suspension just to achieve a static lift height. You're severely limiting down travel when you want flex. The front axle will be moving way backward and the control arm angle can become close to verticle where it's taking the load of the suspension rather than the coil spring. Ya dig? Plus, you'll really hate the ride quality.

Go snag those RE drops that Off Road Ltd has for $100. http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=973151 .......You'll thank me later.

Ya dis poor Rusty's products....:greensmok.............I have a lot of Rusty's lift parts, okay Rear leafs, Track bar & lower control arms (Cause they were only $130at the time). The Rear leafs are actually quite nice riding just sagged out lower than the stated height though after a year and the LCA's are simple and beefy (doing my own custom thingy, so they are a stop gap.)

Never had a prob with the trackbar, but it is a newer one, there were problems in the past. Other Rusty's parts, steering box brace and skid plate. You can build a Tie rod for about the same view your thread on the Saran wrap where I posted all the parts links to build your own.

I would get those Big Off Road flexy leafs, I hear they are awesome, but the guy who runs it doesn't give a NAXJA discount, and I can not afford $400 smacks at the moment :gag::D

Last edited:
"but the guy who runs it doesn't give a NAXJA discount"

No....... He doesn't give a SKULLY discount. All other red-letter folks get 10%

Fawker.........

:D

ouch so rusty's is no good huh?....
why is there so much hype about it then with a lot of people running hteir stuff and seeing it used on a lot of project builds?...(just marketing?)
well i guess the looking continues again

oh wow....so uh.....everything is WAY more expensinve......
and why does everyone go 5.5 to 7.5...what about 6.5?!

and it seems like buying individual parts not so much an option?!.....im kinda confused....
sucks to think ill be spending more for parts that arent what i want...damn....

I figure you've got this stuff covered, but just in case... you're keeping in mind the need for new shocks, brake lines, disconnects (if you run 'em), etc. right? I dont' recall whether or not you have a SYE yet. If not, at 6.5" I imagine you'll need one, so add that in along with a new driveshaft. Just my two cents. :)

ya well i have the basic amount of lift now....3.5 coils/springs with spacers....
so i have the shocks brake lines and shoppin for SYE....seems to do ok for now....but that statement leads to being broke on trail overnight for me lol...

my jeep is a lil rough of a ride but does well (compared to what ive had) and want to just get it a lil more comfortable in that situation...

i want to eliminate spacers/blocks and correct/beef up steering/control arms.
this jeep will just be the beat the hell out of jeep until summer or so when i can get a newer jeep and actually make it nice....

thats why i was leanin to the rusty's...not the best...fits my budget well and expected it could last about a year til i ditchthis jeep for something else anyway....but looks liek that may not be the case anymore.....

and no...i dont have swaybar....never driven a truck/jeep with em on and doubt i ever will....just doesnt phase me i guess......

I have to call bullshit!! Rustys springs are quite good! Just because some people have had issues with SOME of his products does not mean everything of his is bad!! I run his 6.5 springs and am very happy sofar!

oh wow....so uh.....everything is WAY more expensinve......
and why does everyone go 5.5 to 7.5...what about 6.5?!

and it seems like buying individual parts not so much an option?!.....im kinda confused....
sucks to think ill be spending more for parts that arent what i want...damn....

x2 on the drop brackets. At the lift height your looking at you will need drop brackets and braces. For what its worth, I went with RE's 4.5" superflex kit and it netted me almost 5.5" in the back and 5" in front. I plan to add shakle relocation brackets (posted in mod tech, just search) to pick up another 1" in back and to get my shakle angle closer to 45deg. At the same time, I'll either switch out the coils or use spacers to get the front up to 6". Just a thought to get the height you're looking for without getting into a long arm kit.

rustys thumbs down pass run don't bother.

I disagree in a kindly manner ;)

Poor Rusty's, he may have had problems in the past and some still but no more than any other company on the market. The power of the internet, "I had a buddy who heard from a guy on the trail one day their stuff is crap..........."

Other than his "3.5 Leaf springs more like "3 after a year. I have had no quality issues or bad parts, maybe needs better instructions and sometimes holes are not perfect to line up, but that's a jeep nothing is ever square.

My experience; I bought a set of JKS quicker Disco's from him and it was missing parts in the box that was sealed from JKS. Instead of sending me to JKS, he overnighted the missing parts to me.......... He sells stuff for a little over what I can build them for myself. Which means I know he is not making a killing. Unlike rivals products that are twice as much.

Everything I have ordered from Rusty's I got within 5-6 days of the order. I have had not one issue that would warrant me to bash him on the net in fact just the opposite. My steering box brace which looks just like everyone elses, one of the holes did not line up perfect to the hole in the frame and I had to drill it out. I called him and informed of that and the customer service rep claimed that they see that every once and awhile and gave me a $10 of my next order on a $60 part that still worked just a little more elbow grease on my part........... Rusty's is trying their hardest to change things around and improve on everything. Don't listen to bad press from 4 years ago, I give him a thumbs up!

Last edited:
I've heard better things about his leafs and coils yet his customer service is still popping up pisspore to none.

You are for sure one of the few exceptions and I like to hear that people get good service but my dealings with him and his company and poor attitued and the product quility of some of his stuff just shines me away from him or his products.

Just too many bad experiance with him and from what I see on the boards to be willing to spend money on a kit from the guy just to have run the risk of major problems.

I've heard better things about his leafs and coils yet his customer service is still popping up pisspore to none.

You are for sure one of the few exceptions and I like to hear that people get good service but my dealings with him and his company and poor attitued and the product quility of some of his stuff just shines me away from him or his products.

Just too many bad experiance with him and from what I see on the boards to be willing to spend money on a kit from the guy just to have run the risk of major problems.

That was my point..........when was the last time YOU got something from Rusty's Offroad?

Just fun debate here, not just picking on you Jdogg :D

EVERY company has had problems or will have problems with customer service. ..........of course negative feedback always gets thrown around more than the positive and stays longer.

I have worked behind the counter in retail for many years, hell had my own game shop and I know how it is. I always tried to help people to best of my ability, but many co-worker next to me couldn't care less about the customer. Then there was those customers who wanted to get away with murder or just wanted conflict.

I have had bad dealings with Rubicon Express in the past, I watched for months as a guy off of the Colorado board had problems with TNT, that one at least got resolved and they lived happily ever after, but that is what I am saying. I remember working in retail and taking training on the customer service ins and outs and they had this survey thing that made a lot of sense.

People are ten times more likely to complain about something than to compliment. Those that do complain 50% exaggerate on the explanation of the failure or complaint and lie about the situation on how it happened.

Last edited:
very true about retail....damn being dumb....4 people here about the good.....20 hear about the bad.... hmm...

This is my advise.... Rusty's is a worth a try, I did and am happy sofar. If you have problems call and get them taken care of. Then you can actually have an opinion that means something instead of the " my friends uncle's cousin's mothers neice said Rusty's sucks":smoker:

I would pass on the Rusty's junk.Go with RE, Full Traction, TnT, or Rock Krawler.

I would keep it shorter than 6", stick with 33's, and buy Jeff's (planefixer) 4" BOR leafs he has for sale!!

If Jeff's are already gone, I would hit up yella for a set of BOR blems or seconds (yeah, right -- they are sweet leafs though):greensmok

also, I think TRNDRVR on the board had some decent RE control arms for sale for CHEAP!!

and as far as Rusty's is concerned, yeah I've HEARD lots o negetives on the internet (including control arms peeling apart), but have also purchased two parts from him -- both (motor mounts and a steering box brace) required modification on my end to get them to fit, his customer service blew, and it took 3 weeks to get parts I was told were "in stock" when ordering. His leaf springs used to have a really lousy reputation for rapid and uneven settling, but as ColoradoRaptor attests, I have HEARD he got a new supplier and the quality is much improved...

Last edited:
I would keep it shorter than 6", stick with 33's, and buy Jeff's (planefixer) 4" BOR leafs he has for sale!!

If Jeff's are already gone, I would hit up yella for a set of BOR blems or seconds (yeah, right -- they are sweet leafs though):greensmok

Just to clear something up..... there aren't any such things as BOR leaf pack blems or seconds. Don't wanna start getting those calls...... :rolleyes:

Just to clear something up..... there aren't any such things as BOR leaf pack blems or seconds. Don't wanna start getting those calls...... :rolleyes:

....hey Yella you have any Flexy Leaves in seconds or blems hanging around? :shhh: ....... I will paint your Truggy rattle can Yellow for a pair :D

and as far as Rusty's is concerned, yeah I've HEARD lots o negetives on the internet (including control arms peeling apart), but have also purchased two parts from him -- both (motor mounts and a steering box brace) required modification on my end to get them to fit, his customer service blew, and it took 3 weeks to get parts I was told were "in stock" when ordering. His leaf springs used to have a really lousy reputation for rapid and uneven settling, but as ColoradoRaptor attests, I have HEARD he got a new supplier and the quality is much improved...

How long ago was this? .........I have had nothing but great service which has been in the last two years. I must one of a few that are a fluke in the statistics :confused:

What is funny is Rockrawler had an awful time at the beginning with their quality of parts, and see so many negative threads even to this day.......I helped install one of their first TJ kits back in '01-'02....that was a horrible experience.........I wonder why they are not bashed as much as Rusty's?

Last edited:
Back