• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need your thoughts

$6000 is a little much for a truck that has an interior in that kind of shape and the truck overall is in terrible condition. IMO

$6000 is a little much for a truck that has an interior in that kind of shape and the truck overall is in terrible condition. IMO
you must not be familier with resale value of CTD's i say that price is resonable for the truck, to bad it dont got the 5 spd

I wouldn't call the overall truck anywhere near terrible condition

I wouldn't call the overall truck anywhere near terrible condition

The interior makes the truck terrible, along with the stakebed/smashed rear bumper. I don't know what you plan on using the truck for but you asked for opinions and that is mine. KBB says that truck is $8,800 in fair condition not good or excellent. That interior needs to be all redone obviously and the picture of the panel missing shows what looks to be rust. How does the interior of a truck rust that bad? If the interior is that bad they obviously didn't care about the truck so how bad is it mechanically?

My 2001 24v was an awesome truck, I loved it. But I think you could find one in better condition for less than that would cost to fix...this is all just my $.02 though.

The "cosmetics" are what i don't care about actually, a new interior is nothing, i want a stake bed, as for the rear bumper that's trash an i would be extending the stake bed and making it into a rear bumper. The rust in that area under the steering wheel i have actually see on alot of vehicles, dunno why. My main concern is what is going on with that relay on the power steering, and the leak.

I have a 99 24v.

First of all, the power steering pump is shaft driven. I don't see how a relay could be modified to have it "run all the time." I think those brakes are hydroboost, not vacuum boost. No A/C, your call, $$$$ to fix.

As far as the engine itself, that's an early 24v. Plan on replacing the lift pump, and I'd suggest going with something other than the stock replacement. Is there any sort of fuel pressure light or gauge? If not, plan on replacing the injection pump (parts alone will start at $2,000 for the pump and new crosstubes.) You want at least a fuel pressure gauge, a combo boost/EFT gauge, and I'd look into an oil pressure gauge. On my 99, there's a problem with the original sensor, and rather than fixing the problem, Dodge rigged the firmware to lie. And with an automatic transmission, you probably want a temp gauge on that, too.

That looks more like a project truck, and not much of a bargain to me.

I have a 99 24v.

First of all, the power steering pump is shaft driven. I don't see how a relay could be modified to have it "run all the time." I think those brakes are hydroboost, not vacuum boost. No A/C, your call, $$$$ to fix.

Thats what it throwing me off, i know is shaft driven so wtf is the relay!? i mean you turn the key and you can here it running:dunno:. I was gonna offer him 5k, but idk now.

The injector pump was just replaced, on that year is connected right to the ps pump i think.

Yup. And there's a vacuum pump in that stack as well.

The crosstubes should be replaced on that if you replace the injectors, not the injection pump.

If you're looking for a project, and that truck is a target rich environment, go for it. If you're looking for a reliable truck, pass on it.

BTW, my 99 24v rolled 300k miles 2 weeks ago.

WAIT! *I* know what pump he's talking about! It's not the p/s pump, it's the lift pump. The lift pump should be triggered for a couple of seconds at key-on, something like 20 seconds if you bump the starter (but don't let it start.) The only reason that I'd do something like that is to reprime the lift system after changing a fuel filter (did that yesterday on mine.) My bet is that it's losing prime due to a leak. An air leak will eventually fatally damage the injection pump.

Don't even think about it.

My partners dad's 98 just rolled 500k. They will last forever if they are taken care of. But that truck wasn't taken care of. If he cared about changing the oil he wouldn't have let the rest of the truck look like that. If you buy it plan on none of the fluids having ever being changed.

Another thing ARB-XJ, run an Oz. of 2 stroke oil per gallon of diesel. It will increase the longevity of your injection pump if you get a 24v. Those trucks weren't designed to run off of ultra-low sulfur diesel and the sulfur was there to help with lubrication. Now that the fed's took that out in 2007 it is tougher on the trucks. And for those of you running newer trucks, it helps with MPG and should help lube up their systems too.

Another thing ARB-XJ, run an Oz. of 2 stroke oil per gallon of diesel. It will increase the longevity of your injection pump if you get a 24v. Those trucks weren't designed to run off of ultra-low sulfur diesel and the sulfur was there to help with lubrication. Now that the fed's took that out in 2007 it is tougher on the trucks. And for those of you running newer trucks, it helps with MPG and should help lube up their systems too.

ya ik, my work truck its an 03 7.3L which i go that to, although there is a gas station that sells low sulfur diesel still, dunno if thats even legal....

Back