• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

need some opinions on price of 297 shafts

fourplayoffroad

NAXJA Forum User
so I want to wheel real bad but I keep breaking the left front shaft right at the ears where the u-joint caps go in. I plan on going with a D44 front early next year so I need to try to make this D30 last a little longer. I can get a brand new inner and outer 297 shaft with u-joint for $105 or get a used one from a wrecking yard for $60 is that over priced for a used shaft? I've called almost every wrecking yard around and this is the only one I've found. I would like to keep this as low budget as possible but also want to wheel the crushers again at least once along with many other trips elsewhere. My second question is I'm buying a new carrier for $52 should I just run open diff. (wont be able to run the crushers) or spend the $280 for a lockright? I'm running 35s and 4.56 gears and I've been told that it should hold up ok for a while but right now I'm welded in the front and I'm pretty sure thats why I keep breaking that shaft. Whats your input????

Last 2 I bought from pull 'a' parts only cost me $22 apeice. If you are breaking ears have you thought about welding in the u-joint caps? As to the locker, go aussie instead of the lockright and save yourself $50 or so. I'm running 35's and am still going strong.

Don't waste your money on upgrading a D30. I got to where I could swap a short shaft in about 10 minutes after building my stroker about 6 years ago. I went with a D44 budget build and haven't popped another shaft. I did my complete D44 change over for about $1100.

so I want to wheel real bad but I keep breaking the left front shaft right at the ears where the u-joint caps go in. I plan on going with a D44 front early next year so I need to try to make this D30 last a little longer. I can get a brand new inner and outer 297 shaft with u-joint for $105 or get a used one from a wrecking yard for $60 is that over priced for a used shaft? I've called almost every wrecking yard around and this is the only one I've found. I would like to keep this as low budget as possible but also want to wheel the crushers again at least once along with many other trips elsewhere. My second question is I'm buying a new carrier for $52 should I just run open diff. (wont be able to run the crushers) or spend the $280 for a lockright? I'm running 35s and 4.56 gears and I've been told that it should hold up ok for a while but right now I'm welded in the front and I'm pretty sure thats why I keep breaking that shaft. Whats your input????

I am not sure that I understand much of what has been written above, but I will attempt to provide some info:
1. A welded front D30 is NOT a good idea!!!!!!!!
2. 297 U-joint shafts are significantly stronger than 260's.
3. Show us how the shafts are breaking would be helpful to understand what stresses you are putting on them.
4. a pair of 297 joints at the junk yard are the cheapest solution (don't forget to replace the joints though while they are out).

What size tire?

Michael

The last shaft I bought was around $35 (+ a core charge) if I remember correctly. This was without the hub attached.

I broke a 260 and swapped to 297's after that. I put new Spicer 760 joints in them and used full circle clips, and haven't had a problem since (knock on wood).

If you have the money for the locker I would install it. Lunchbox lockers tend to hold their value, so you could always sell it after you've upgraded.

Hows the dovetail project going?

Found a set on craigslist for 100 that is both sides non disco.

A guy on here was was going to sell me a set with hubs for 150.

There is a salvage yard in lake stevens that qouted me 30 for both sides.

Don't waste your money on upgrading a D30. I got to where I could swap a short shaft in about 10 minutes after building my stroker about 6 years ago. I went with a D44 budget build and haven't popped another shaft. I did my complete D44 change over for about $1100.

you're lucky...

I'm like 6 large into my front 44 that I break once a year...

wow $22 for a shaft is cheap!!!! Do any of you know where I can find just the driver side inner and outer 297 shaft? I'll pay more than $22 but I live in the gresham/portland/sandy area. I dont mind a little drive but no more than 30 miles one way. I have not been able to locate one myself for a reasonable price. The dovetail project is going good I had to throw it together un-finished because I moved but now I'm tearing it back down to complete it so I can go to naches with my buddies in 2 weeks thats why I'm in a hurry to find an axle shaft. I havent wheeled at all since the snow storm we had and I'm getting anxious plus I've never been to naches.Thanks for any help

Back