• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need help with cherokee brake pads

ONX

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys need some help real quick, I was given some brand new Xj brake pads for free but since I dont know what year they are for, I am not sure if they will fit my cherokee. I am taking it in tomorrow to have a Limited slip diff installed and figured I would have them swap out the pads at the same time but I want to make sure they will fit so I dont look like a idiot. My XJ is a '86.

Last edited:
Those look like the ones on my '99...
No they don't. Look at the ears on the ends of the backing plate. Both sides are complete. On the later XJ pads one side is missing the tang so you can pivot the calipers in with the brake pads.

See this pic of thew later style pad:
auto-part-jeep-cherokee-brake-pad-d477-7358a.jpg

They are also missing any springs.

However, going off RockAuto they look like they will work for the OP's 1986 XJ w/ the earlier brake setup.

you know, I was looking at hte pics on my phone, and there, I could have sworn that I did see that only one of the "ears" was complete. But now on my laptop I see that you're right. thanks for the correction.

Go to the parts store with the pads. Ask to see some from your model year...compare them. If they are NOT the same...get some new ones.

Done.

:D

Back