• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

need help D35 8.25 swap

homebrew

NAXJA Forum User
I will soon be swaping out my 35 for a 8.25. First time pulling and axle would like some pointers, things to look out for. A question I have is I know the u bolts are a different size, will the spring plate that I have work or dose it need to be replaced/altered? Also the e break cable, will the cable from the 8.25 work, any different than the 35 cable?
Thanks for the help
Paul

Paul, I'm getting ready to do the same and I'm unsure about some of the issues as well. Best advice would be to do as I did and get a complete 8.25 with the e-brake cables still intact. That way you will have options when you do the install. The plates are the same as far as I know. You will need a driveshaft from a similar set up as well, the d-35 shaft is shorter from what I understand.

Sorry I couldn't clarify things better, but I will be able to in a couple of weeks.

I did the swap a while ago. The spring plates from the D35 should be slotted, and should work just fine. The brake hose is the same. If you are swapping in a 97 and up 8.25(IIRC), the ebrake cables will be short on one side, and long on the other. To fix that problem, if you run into it, use the ebrake cables from the D35. The brake setup is the same for the D35 and the 8.25. I was able to use the same DS, I have an AX15 and 231 if that matters any.

Get new U bolts and remember to bleed the brakes.

canman I have the same set up as you, how much lift do you have? anyone know the size difference between a 35 DS and a 8.25 DS. I was thinking that I would need a longer DS, I am sitting at about 4 inches in the rear with the original setup and no TC drop. Havent experinced any binding or vibes so I guess thats a good thing.

homebrew said:
canman I have the same set up as you, how much lift do you have? anyone know the size difference between a 35 DS and a 8.25 DS. I was thinking that I would need a longer DS, I am sitting at about 4 inches in the rear with the original setup and no TC drop. Havent experinced any binding or vibes so I guess thats a good thing.

About 1/2"-1" last time I measured them. The 8.25 shaft is shorter.

i have a 90 manual, np231, 3" lift and i swapped out my 35 for 8.25 29 spline out of a 98. only thing i didn't use off my jeep was new ebrake lines (asked for 8.25 ones) because mine were rotted. Didn't change the driveshaft, brake lines, plates etc. Been fine for over a year (no problems). Hope that helps.

Oh just make sure u keep ur ebrake away from ur muffler. thats what killed my old ones. spring let go and it melted/rotted it away.

I haven't swapped axles in an XJ, but other vehicles, a common problem was breaking the "U" Bolts, trying to remove them. This created lengthy delays, so it would be worth it to have a fresh set of "U" Bolts.

Someone mentioned the U-Bolts are different for the axles. So most likely you have the necessary U-Bolts already pulled or new before you start the swap. BUT, if its a case of part of the job is to pull the U-Bolts to swap over, then keep that in mind, they're likely to break while pulling them.

some say you should always get new ubolts after a few swaps.

Back