• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Natural Gas Piping - Source, Install, etc.?

freerider15

NAXJA Forum User
So I have a natural gas heater in my detached shop.

It, along with all associated plumbing, was there when we bought this place. It works just fine, but I'd like to redo some things.

I plan on paneling up the shop wall where it comes through, but I'll need to disconnected/disassemble it from the outside (as I plan on remounting the heater as well).

However, it appears when the line from the crawl space to the heater (maybe 10-15') was install, the PO didn't install and on/off valve.

And, our house was built in '65, and has no house side on/off valve.

The line goes from black pipe, to orange polyethylene gas tubing, exits the crawl space, runs ~10', and pops out as black pipe above ground again.

What I'd like to do, is have an on/off valve installed, and rerun the line a bit cleaner, and add a pop-up about 10' further for a future natural gas fireplace for the patio.

So, as far as I've found just looking online (haven't had a chance to check out some plumbing supply stores), it seems no one is willing to sell the yellow polyethylene tubing and fitting unless you're certified, licensed, etc.

I know natural gas is nothing to carelessly fool around with, but for ****es sake...not everyone is handy-incapable.

Anyone have experience with this? I'm confident I could do the job to code (bury the line 18" down, run tracer wire, connect joints, pressure test, etc.) but it's looking more and more like I'd have to pay someone (certified/licensed) to do it.

I'll entertain getting quotes, but I have a feeling those quotes are going to come with a "you can't be serious..." from my end for such a small amount of work.

Input, suggestions, etc.?

I know someone(s) here have to have done this...

I'm no plumber, but I play one at work (wholesale plumbing). Gimme a shout at work, I can talk you through it, and arrange the material.

Steve

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Still thinking of me every time you shower...?

We're open 6:30-4... maybe 9ish, get the morning rush over.

Last edited:
Hee hee, I do have the right hair cut. That was pretty cool.

All these guys talking about their pipes and taking measurements and lending each other a hand, or a shake, just seems odd. :roflmao:

Let's not forget about trying to control our gas...

Back