• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

N231 Transfer Case

AdidasCJ

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 231 transfer case that came out of a 91 XJ. I had intended to swap it into my ZJ to swap my 249AWD case. But learned AFTER i pulled it that the gear cuts changed and this one will not work. So I will sale it off and find the correct one for my swap. So if anyone has a 96+ (XJ,ZJ) 242 or 231... :)

Unknown actual miles.
N231 from a 91 XJ with a 91 tag on the transfer case.
Spline on the input shaft look good.

Im located in Adelanto. Feel free to contact me here, or CL posting, or PM..

Here is the CL ad as I can not post pictures of it from work.

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/pts/5108447946.html

The gear cuts did indeed change, but that won't matter unless you want to do a wide chain kit or for some other reason modify the internals.

You could still bolt it up and run it.

That said, I'll take it for the $1 you're asking.

What cal said. Only matters if you are swapping input shafts. The splines on the input shaft of the transmission did not matter besides 21 or 23 assuming the length is correct

What with the games your playing with the price?
Post what you want for it, this isnt ebay.

Thanks for your concern about a game being played but nothing to see here for you so move right along to the next post. However, just for you I am asking 160.00 OBO, Better? :looser:

What cal said. Only matters if you are swapping input shafts. The splines on the input shaft of the transmission did not matter besides 21 or 23 assuming the length is correct

The issue im encountering is I would have to swap the input shaft from the current 249 to this 231. This 231 has the .750 input (correct 23 spline, wrong length). The 96 ZJ has a .850 input (23 spline but the different gear cut). That is where the annulus gear/pitch issue pops up on me....

The issue im encountering is I would have to swap the input shaft from the current 249 to this 231. This 231 has the .750 input (correct 23 spline, wrong length). The 96 ZJ has a .850 input (23 spline but the different gear cut). That is where the annulus gear/pitch issue pops up on me....

You can just bolt it up, and it works. Many others have.

Thanks for your concern about a game being played but nothing to see here for you so move right along to the next post. However, just for you I am asking 160.00 OBO, Better? :looser:

If you're going to come here and be an ass to our members, just pack up and go somewhere else.

What with the games your playing with the price?
Post what you want for it, this isnt ebay.

If you're going to come here and be an ass to our members, just pack up and go somewhere else.

First and foremost when it is insinuated that that a game is being played with the price, I took offense to that as no malleolus intent with pricing except that of being open to offers as I know what I’ve paid, not looking to rip anyone off or make a grand fortune and others know what they go for. That is the reason for my smartass response to the first smartass insinuation by ‘our members’ as you state.

So I apologize for the offense that anyone took to me being a smart ass to another smartass comment. However, if we could return to the topic at hand of a transfer case for sale, I would appreciate it.

First and foremost when it is insinuated that that a game is being played with the price, I took offense to that as no malleolus intent with pricing except that of being open to offers as I know what I’ve paid, not looking to rip anyone off or make a grand fortune and others know what they go for. That is the reason for my smartass response to the first smartass insinuation by ‘our members’ as you state.

So I apologize for the offense that anyone took to me being a smart ass to another smartass comment. However, if we could return to the topic at hand of a transfer case for sale, I would appreciate it.

If you know what you paid for it and others know what it goes for, then why not put a price on it? :dunno:

And the input shaft from the 249 will swap right into the 231 irregardless of year. I have put a 98 249 gear into an 89 231 no problem. There was no change to the input, just to the annulus and sun gears interaction. The splining reference between input and planetary has always remained the same. Ever wonder why there is only one version of the SYE kits that replace the entire mainshaft? And they somehow happen to cover all years of the 231?

Tcases's go for a wide range of prices, depending on things like SYE, mileage, etc... I guess 'game' was the wrong word.

Now that youve posted a price, i will wish you good luck with sale. =)

Would you take $100? I also emailed you

Back