• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My new XJ build, Comments/Opinions

Lake919

NAXJA Forum User
Hi guys, my name is Lake and I recently picked up a 2001 XJ Sport 4.0L. It has 43k original miles and was one owner. I bought it from a retired couple in their 70's. Meticulously cared for and I paid $4500 for it. I am planning on making this a rig for my hobby which is Whitewater Kayaking. This is my gear list so far for my build, any comments or opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Rubicon Express 5.5" Long Arm Lift kit
33x12.50 MT Baja MTZ's on MT 15x10 All black Wheels
Warn Front bumper with a Warn 9.5 winch with Synthetic Rope
Warn Rear bumper with Tire carrier
Dual KC lighting for the bumper
HID conversion kit for reg headlights
Stripping all carpet from the rig and replacing it with Rhino Lining.
ARB Snorkel Kit
Wilderness 54x60 roof rack
Full skid plating and Diff covers
Optima battery and High Output Alternator
Banks Power Headers with a Borla full Cat Back Exhaust system
Jet performance Stage 2 chip

This is my current list of what I am wanting in the rig. Can anyone give some insight on anything else they feel would be wise or any opinions on whether this is a good build? This is not my first jeep and I have my own weekend warrior 2800 square foot shop with 3 bays and 2 full hydraulic lifts. Tire moutning and balancing equipment and a full array of Craftsman Tools at my disposel. Thanks in advance for all comments and opinions.

I'd say skip the jet chip aswell

Wow thanks for all the response, I greatly appreciate it. Yeah I got really luck in finding the jeep. I drive the same way to work every morning and I saw it last Tuesday as the man was putting it in the yard at about 5 am. I stopped talked to him and almost stroked out when I saw the miles. I gave him $1000 in cash and ran a carfax at work and it was flawless, went back that evening and was expecting to pay 8k plus and he said 4500. I feel very fortunate.

As far as the build goes, I added the ARB airlocker kit with the built in compressor. Scrapped the jet chip, after reading the comment on here as well as a few other people that have them and hate them. Also pickep up an Alpine Marine CD head unit.

Just spent almost 10k on parts at Quadratec. Now I am like a kid at christmas waiting for it all to come in. Going to take 4 days off from work and lock myself in my shop and my brother in law and I are going to do the build. Will post before and after pics soon. My wife is a little jealous I think. Although she drives a 600 Horsepower SRT8 Grand Cherokee.

I'd also skip the jet chip, no real need for it... spend that money on gears instead.

Before you dumped all that money at Quadratec you should have researched other places. You paid a good 10% more than you could have easily. You really need to gear the jeep if you are going that big on tires. I would say 4.56's since you plan on wheeling it. Also, the chips won't due much unless you are boosting it. Its not a diesel so don't expect monster numbers from that chip alone!

Before you dumped all that money at Quadratec you should have researched other places. You paid a good 10% more than you could have easily. You really need to gear the jeep if you are going that big on tires. I would say 4.56's since you plan on wheeling it. Also, the chips won't due much unless you are boosting it. Its not a diesel so don't expect monster numbers from that chip alone!

I'd say more then 10% easily I hope you got a free mall rated sticker with your purchase.

Its not a diesel so don't expect monster numbers from that chip alone!
Lol...

Last edited:
for the price of a stocker you might as well grab an apn at least

ideally, i would just grab stockers from a yard. maybe 30 bux? weld up whatever cracks are there and wheel the piss out of it. first water crossing with a fancy banks/borla/gibson will probably crack it. did the trick every time on all the headers i had warrantied.

dang. those are low miles. i thought i got mine at a decent deal

....and it now has 240,000miles

So quick question, My order will not be processed until this morning, so I still have time to cancel. Who should I be looking at instead of Quadratec? I looked at 4WD.com and they were even pricier. Please any help here would be great, SHould I drop the entire exhaust idea? No header no exhaust? I already dropped the chip.

Back