• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

my lovely weekend....

pyrothugg

NAXJA Forum User
first off let me say please excuse my punctuation and spelling, im a moron and didnt sleep the past 2 days but i wanted to share so here you go.

well i dont know what everybody else did over the weekend but i did what i normally do i went wheelin. most of the day was pretty uneventful some decent swamp runs, some mild rocks, some decent hill climbs, pretty much it was just a day of trail riding....well that was untill we were about to leave. earlier in the day my offroad lights fried and started smoking up my interior and but by the time i got to my exstinguisher and followed the wiring i found that there infact wasnt any fire it was just a bad short...(thats what i get for no inline fuse) however that should have been the 1st sign because not more then 10 minutes later we were doing this hill climb ive never had trouble with before and this time it took about 3 tries to get up(sign 2), well anyway after all this for the rest of the day nothing seemed to happen until we hit this place locals call the flume its pretty much a concrete drainige ditch looking thing that emptys to a small 3 foot tall dam that empties into a river well i had the bright idea to go upthe dam even though i couldnt see just how deep it was on the other side (mistake number 3) so i get up over the damn thing and after driving about 15 feet it starts getting real deep im sitting on 7.5 inches of lift and 35s and right as i thought of trying to change direction and head out because it was getting deep (up to about the middle of the headlights) it droped down into a huge hole that brought the level up to about 4 inches up my windshield....(by now you know where this is going) yea so it mildly hydrolocked luckly i wasnt going balls to the wall which was the only thing i had going for me at this point. unfortunately the guy i was wheeling with pretty much waited for what seemed like forever to get me out of this damn ditch thing meanwhile im in a jeep thats filling up with about 45 degree water up to the steering wheel frying all my internal componets and stuff. but this isnt the best part. the best part is as he gets down there to tow me out we brake a 30,000lb towstrap lose 2 dlink shackles and a bunch of cotter pins amongst other stuff. well finally he gets me out of the deep hole. but im still stuck in the flume which is a double sided concrete ditch with 45 degree sloping walls. ive gone up through from side to side before but never the way i went tonight. anyway as he tried to pull me up the inclined walls we ripped another 30,000lb towstrap and as 1 went so did I. my longarm over flexed (didnt have time to instal limiting straps yet) and my coil fell out causing me to not only have a nasty flop but also do the normal (break all my glass dent it to hell etc etc,) well laying on my side wasnt to bad i mean ive rolled my other jeeps a good many times so i was fine with that. except for the fact that the rushing 45 degree water was now flowing directly through my broken windows and as we finally got me upright all my stuff in my jeep decided to float out my windows ie. my garmin, my phone, extra towstrap,bottle opener, other dumb shit. anyway i get back on all 4 meats and by this time its about 930 and we had called other wheelers to come help get me out a lifted bronco a dodge 1500 and my buddy who was already there with his xj well they all tried pulling me off my dlinks on the front bumper at the same time and managed to somehow rip it from the frame. after all this we decided it was best just to leave it in the water over night and just call our buddy who has a towing company in the morning to come get me out. anyway next day we get out there and i get winched out no problem and i notice that my lca was totally f*d. we also were able to scout the river and find my coil spring as well as most of what had floated out my rig the night before; yes i left my garmin and my phone my 2 $400 flash lights my ipod and everything else in the water overnight because i couldnt find them in the dark. unfortunately all the electronic stuff was gone obviously, and the jeep had seen better days. just how bad i didnt know....it looked pretty questionable after being in the water all night. well we get it towed to my buddys moms house because we both lived about 40 miles away and his moms house was a lot closer. anyway i popped the hood got my plugs out put new ones in and believe it or not the sob cranked over after i shot out about 2 gallons of water. so we got all my shit outa the jeep to let it dry out pulled the rear seat out to let that dry and we are going to go from there. anyway ill post updates and some narly pics my buddys son took of the rig on her side and being winched out and stuff. im one lucky sob. nas of now the only

damage i can think of is as follows:
kia-all glass passanger side
kia-all body pannels passanger side
kia-passanger side lca mount
kia-front frame rail
kia-welds on the front bumper
kia-all 3 of my ripped 30,000lb towstraps
mia-about 4 dlinks
mia-numerous cotter pins
kia-rear hatch is toast
kia-need all new passanger side doors
kia-ruined my sub
wounded -possibly ruined my amps and cap
kia garmin
kia phone
kia ipod
mia garage door opener
mia bunch of cd's
mia bunch of stuff i cant think of
wounded- air compressor

and thats about it over all i think i made out all right considering i thought i was going to be replacing an engine although if i wouldnt have lost my job the other week a stroker replacement would have been sweet. anyway like i said ill provide updates as i get up there on week ends to work on her heres a pic of here before all of this crap went down.

Are you adding a note or a person?

pulser2.gif

spaceout.gif
spaceout.gif
spaceout.gif
spaceout.gif
spaceout.gif
spaceout.gif
spaceout.gif
spaceout.gif

4071236326_334ede21b1.jpg

lol it was fun man.....overall it was a great day of wheelin i mean yea we had a semi shitty ending but hey it you gota look at the positive it gives me a chance to build it bigger badder and better then before and i already got some bad ass ideas planned

if i had to do it again i definatly wouldnt even look back it i had a great time and id do it in a heart beat the only bad day wheeling is when someone gets kia. other then that its all good man

actually was already in the process of designing a really tricked out cowl snorkel but after this almost total loss of an engine i think i may just opt for a full out snorkel from a major manufacture just gota wait till i get the money together and find a good deal on one.but yea definatly gunna be on the list of things to go on the jp

nonono dont jinx me. She's a 98 with 270k miles. lol I'd hope for the engine to not end that way. Snorkel will be on it's way soon. I was referring to the person in the "leap frog" thread.

yea... snorkels are definatly the way to go just make sure you also go over and extend all breather lines and seal up all electrical lines i had already done that in preperation for my upcoming snorkel which i think was my main saving grace

used dielectric grease, wd 40 (originaly designed for the military to stop corosion of electronics when submerged under water-perfect for wheeling) also did a lot of research in threads one thread that was a little overboard but did have some good ideas as well that i remember using was http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/t175868.html theres a lot of stuff you can do to stop a hydrolock the best thing though take it from me is just to stear clear of deep water lol....although why would anybody want to do anything of the sort

even just searching naxja and the other similar sites for water fording and water proffing you will find all kinds of helpfull info

Well in the pine barrens you never know. And if a situation like yours were to occur. You'd still have a 4.0. haha thanks for the info. sleep time surgery in the morning

Back