• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My BA10 died, or, whats the cheapest tranny swap?

nader55

NAXJA Forum User
My Jeep (89 XJ 4.0 4WD w/ NP231) is beat up but passes California smog, everything on it works, and was great to drive around on easy trails. Many parts have been replaced and it runs great. The BA10 died after 210,000 miles because I let the oil get low, as there must have been a very slow oil leak and I didn't realize it ran dry. (BTW..after it ran dry and I filled it back up, it lasted another 5000 miles before dying!). Tires are stock. Stock suspension, no lift.

The cluster shaft big gear is missing a couple teeth, and the bearings are toast (input and output shaft are very wobbly)

Its been almost a year and I've yet to find a solution to this problem. XJ has been sitting rotting away and its such a waste.

If I cant find a way to get this transmission issue resolved, I'm going to have to part out the XJ.

Is there some solution thats less than a couple hundred? (including whatever money I could make selling the BA10 in its broken condition, either parting it out or as a core)

I have access to getting things machined and welded basically free. So if there is some widely available, cheap transmission I could put in I'd be up for that, even if I have to make an adapter of some kind..

Have read previous posts that the BA/10 is not a good tranny to rebuild. That is; the case when separated 'stretches', making it difficult to put back together. I have no experience with this model rebuild. In your case, (being in California), try calling around to junk yards to find one; one either already pulled, or one that needs to be removed. Yes there is a better model tranny, but I cannot recall the various extra/different parts required to hook it up.

Have read previous posts that the BA/10 is not a good tranny to rebuild. That is; the case when separated 'stretches', making it difficult to put back together. I have no experience with this model rebuild. In your case, (being in California), try calling around to junk yards to find one; one either already pulled, or one that needs to be removed. Yes there is a better model tranny, but I cannot recall the various extra/different parts required to hook it up.

The AX-15 was used after the BA/10 and would bolt up to the engine. I'm not sure how much, or if you'd have to do to swap out the clutch. The BA/10 output shaft had 21-splines and the newer AX15 had 23 splines, so if you try to swap in an AX15, you'll need to swap the transfer case as well.

Back