• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

MJ ENGINE QUESTION

86MJ28

NAXJA Forum User
does anyone happen to know of any gm or other motors that will bolt up to the auto. tranny in my 86 mj 2.8, its an s10 motor i know but i dont know if anything bolts up to that, i believe its a chrysler 727 trans.

GM 3.4 would be the easiest, its basically a bored out 2.8

87manche said:
somewhere on this website
http://www.lunghd.com/
is a decent writeup about everything you need to go to a 3.4 from a camaro or firebird.

Or an S-10/T-15. You can use a V6-60 from a RWD/4WD vehicle (truck or F-body being the best donors,) but not a FWD - the starter will be on the wrong side, and you won't be able to get it to bolt up.

That bellhousing pattern is also shared by:
  • Buick later 3.8L V6 (RWD)
  • Cadillac 4.1/4.5/4.9L V8 (don't know if the starter is on the wrong side offhand)
  • 1984-1993 Pontiac I4-151ci RWD(a vastly superior engine.)
And is known as the "GM Metric" Bellhousing pattern. The various "small block" and "big block" GM engines will not fit (but they also share a common pattern,) however the bellhousing of your transmission is, I believe, removable - so it could be swapped in toto. It's a Chrysler transmission, so you may have an easier time swapping to a Chrysler engine going that route - I'm still collecting information there.

However, the F-Body/Truck V6-60 will be the easiest swap, since you don't have to modify the engine mounting as well.

Back